sagar patil 8UcNYpynFLU unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
sagar patil 8UcNYpynFLU unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

5 Things Single Ladies Hate About Valentine’s Day

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Falmouth chapter.

February 14th? Terrible. The very thought of it makes you groan. Whether it’s by choice or the result of a break up, spending Valentine’s Day alone is torturous, mostly because people don’t shut up about it until it’s over.

Every card section and chocolate shelf is catering towards reds, pinks and giant hearts. Mushy words that make you want to vomit follow you everywhere you go, and everything from DVDs to condoms are marketed towards spending that ~special day~ with your ~special someone~ – and if you don’t have a special someone, guess what? Capitalism doesn’t care.

The Fifty Shades Franchise. Need I say more? A film that is essentially about a woman trapped in an abusive relationship (seriously, BDSM in real life is nowhere near as bizarre as in that series) is being marketed as a sensual erotic love story for you and your significant other to watch at the cinema. For single women— especially those who have recently left an abusive or controlling relationship— the glorification of domestic abuse disguised as kink leaves a bitter taste in one’s mouth.

Capitalisation of spending time and appreciating those you love. An international holiday that was once about cherishing your loved one is now overrun by expensive date spots, expensive gifts, and the worry that whatever you’re spending on your significant other just isn’t enough. While single women don’t have to think about the last one, it’s still frustrating when things suddenly peak upwards in price when all you really want is a simple chocolate box for one.

Yet another heteronormative holiday. Shoutout to the LGBTAQ+ single ladies, because Valentine’s Day almost exclusively caters to heterosexual relationships, so if you felt that hetero relationships weren’t shoved in your face enough already, good news! It’s about to get even more intense.

Society thinks you’re broken if you’re not in a relationship. Yes, I’m serious. If you aren’t out celebrating Valentine’s Day people become concerned and disappointed. Family members will constantly asking you if you’re going out on a date or asking any boys to be your valentine, and friends will suggest drinking your problems away even if you are perfectly happy to stay home with a DVD and some popcorn. Because clearly it’s everyone else’s business, right? It’s not. 

Hi, I'm Hannah, a first year Animation & Visual Effects student at Falmouth University! I'm here to get my voice heard and create relatable articles using my life experiences as a woman.