Yara Shahidi and Charles Melton Looking ~HOT~ on Cosmo’s Cover

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Fairfield chapter.

Yara Shahidi and Charles Melton, the two stars of “The Sun Is Also a Star,” shine bright on the cover of Cosmopolitan’s May 2019 issue. “The Sun Is Also a Star” is based on number-one New York Times bestselling author Nicola Yoon’s YA novel of the same name, and is directed by celebrated female director Ry Russo-Young. It follows high-school-senior Natasha and her family on the day of their impending deportation from New York to Jamaica. On the same day, Natasha must leave the country she calls home for a new home she barely remembers.  Natasha meets and falls in love with Daniel, the youngest son of Korean immigrants. It focuses on teenagers of color and the main conflict centers around immigration and deportation, a relevant and important issue to see onscreen.

Yara Shahidi, 19, (Black-ishand Grown-ish star) is a role model for passionate young women today. When she is not studying at Harvard or starring in Grown-ish, she is a political activist and founder of her own voter-outreach program, Eighteen x 18. As Allie Jones writes in the Cosmopolitan interview, Shahidi’s clear, eloquent, diction and precise way of speaking about her goals and her ideas would place her equally at home in LA and DC. 

Charles Melton, 28, is a well-known TV heartthrob, for his role as Reggie on the smash hit Riverdale. Melton aims to grace our television and movie screens for the long run, discussing Will Smith with clear fervor and energy (he is currently filming Bad Boys for Life with Smith). He’s developing ways to deal with his “increasingly obsessive fandom,” as Jones writes.

The beauty of “The Sun is also a Star” is that it shows how Natasha and Daniel are shaped by their culture and their backgrounds, Korean and American, Jamaican and American, and also by the universality of their age, as teenagers falling in love over karaoke and shared interests. 

If you haven’t read “The Sun is Also a Star,” read it now so you’ll be super psyched to see the movie when it comes out on May 17th!

Mimi Loughlin

Fairfield '20

Mimi Loughlin is majoring in English/Digital Journalism. She also writes for The Fairfield Mirror, Fairfield University's student newspaper: http://fairfieldmirror.com/author/mimi-loughlin/. Mimi is happy to be part of the Her Campus team at Fairfield! :)
Alexis DiZenzo is a motivated Connecticut native. She attends Fairfield University where she is majoring in digital journalism and minoring in marketing. She is currently co-campus corespondent of Fairfield's Her Campus chapter. Along with managing Her Campus Fairfield, Alexis has interned with The Secured Lender Magazine, and NBC Sports. She is a contributing writer for Elite Daily as well as Thought Catalog. In the early stages of her college career, Alexis has taken the initiative to reach far among the stars and achieve goals early on. She has a great sense of editing, writing, publishing, marketing and leadership as well as strong interpersonal skills. (And a fun-loving, outgoing personality!) Alexis' favorite book (and movie) is The Great Gatsby, she lives by the words of Carrie Bradshaw and you could definitely find her on a beach, soaking up the sun. Instagram @alexisdizenzo www.alexisfdizenzo.com