yulia chinato fWTwGRXQzI8 unsplash
yulia chinato fWTwGRXQzI8 unsplash

Would You Try These Fashion Trends?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Fairfield chapter.

All collegiettes want to stay on trend, but let’s face it, some fashion and beauty trends are straight up strange. We love seeing them on the runway, but that doesn’t necessarily mean that they are easily transferable to our everyday style. Here are some of the most unique trends of the season…be bold and give them a try!

Velvet

Although these velvet pants are so chic, can you really see yourself wearing this to class, your internship or even out to dinner at a nice restaurant? All fashionistas want to stay on trend, but some styles are better left on the runways. Try incorporating velvet into your look in the form of a skirt or dress to be trendy, yet classic.

Patent leather boots

This trend looks great on our favorite runway models, but the everyday girl may be afraid this trend screams, “stripper” instead of fashion queen. A pair of short patent leather boots will keep you stylish and sophisticated.

Ombre lips

These lips were making appearances all over the Fall 2016 runways! Designers like Alexander McQueen, Marc Jacobs and Dolce & Gabbana featured the trend in many of their shows. If this ombre is too severe for you, try using two lipsticks: a shade lighter and a shade darker than one another for a subtler look.

Metallic shoes

I love metallic and menswear inspired styles. Together? Not for me! If you feel the same, try a silver ballet flat or pump instead.

Matching shoes with socks

This trend may look stylish with the right outfit, but I think I’ll leave this fashion faux pas to those who forgot about the transition from winter to spring. A matching pair of tights might be a more approachable style choice.

Morning after makeup

I’m not sure who wants to have smudged makeup on purpose, but I won’t spend 20 minutes doing my makeup for it to look like a five-year-old did it. Everyone knows you’re supposed to take your makeup off before bed anyway. A less high-fashion look would be to just smoke out the bottom liner slightly, without it looking like it’s melting down your face.

Just because something is trending, doesn’t mean you have to copy the runway look exactly as it’s styled. There are numerous ways to rock a trend and still stay true to your style! 

Gabriella is currently a junior at Fairfield University, where she is majoring in Marketing and minoring in Communications. She is Co-Campus Correspondent of Her Campus Fairfield with her roomie/best friend Pamela Grant! Gab can most likely be found with a Venti Starbs in hand, while wearing obnoxiously large sunnies (no shame), reading the most recent issue of Glamour Mag.