Wings, Performances, and Angels: A Recap of the 2014 Victoria’s Secret Fashion Show

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Fairfield chapter.

If I could sum up this year’s Victoria’s Secret Fashion Show in one word, it would be ‘perfect.’ Between the 47 VS Angels that rocked the runway, the stunning outfit choices and the amazing performances by Taylor Swift, Ed Sheeran, Ariana Grande, and Hozier, I was amazed.

According to the producers this year was unlike anything in years past. The 2014 show featured more models and outfits than ever before, not one but two fantasy bras, and chose to have the same artist (Taylor Swift, of course) perform two consecutive years in a row.

The first walk of the show was the Gilded Angels theme. The flawless gold outfits and the fluffy white wings didn’t fall short of expectations. These handcrafted outfits took days, weeks, and for some, even months to create and put together. It was a perfect theme to start the show with.

Soon after, Taylor Swift graced us with her presence. The Dream Angels walk to “Blank Space” was arguably the best theme of the night. Besides the fact that Taylor is, or at least looks like she should be an angel, her vocals and outfit were on point. The light pink outfits were exactly what I imagined this theme would feature.  

The next segment discussed Alessandra Ambrosio and Adriana Lima, 14 and 15 year, veterans to the VS runway. Many years and two children later, these two supermodels still kill the game.

Alessandra and Adriana starred in the Exotic Angels segment of he show, where they wore a multi million dollar fantasy bra. This year, however, the fantasy bra evolved into a fantasy outfit, which required the two to have their bodies molded in advance to ensure the outfit would fit perfectly. Ed Sheeran was the lucky performer for this segment, and he sounded incredible. I do think the song choice was slightly awkward for the walk, and that VS could have chosen either another performer, or another Ed Sheeran song that may have been a little more fast-paced and up-beat.

Next in line was Ariana Grande. Ariana fit the Pink themed walk well. Ariana’s fun and bubbly personality made this performance extremely cohesive and entertaining. She opened with “Love Me Harder” and then transitioned into “Bang Bang”, “Break Free” and finally, “Problem”. Sadly for us all, the part when she accidentally got hit in the head by an angel’s wings was cut out. I loved the use of background dancers for this performance; it definitely made it more involved.

The next part didn’t sit too well with me. While I absolutely love Hozier as an artist, I felt that he was out of place at the VSFS. He performed his top hit “Take Me to Church” during the Fairy Tale walk, which was what confused me. I believe that the song choice was a little odd for the VSFS, and that the performance was a little too awkward and creepy for a fairytale walk. Again, I think that the producers could have maybe went with a different song or performer. At least the wings for this segment were absolutely incredible.

And of course, Taylor Swift was there to save the day. Her closing performance of “Style” to the finale walk was incredible . She just has that affect on some of us, doesn’t she? Great choice, VS producers, for having Taylor perform both first and last. I think they should just hire her for the event every single year.

Thanks for another great show, VS! 

Hey ladies! I'm Alyssa Vicari, a loyal Long Islander from Fairfield's class of 2018. I am a sophomore finance major and marketing minor who loves everything about the fall and everything about coffee. When I'm not studying or writing for HC, you can probably find me at the beach, the mall, watching Netflix, or doing any other thing that #basic college girls enjoy. Follow me on Twitter and Instagram @alyssavicari !
Danielle was previously the Deputy Editor at Her Campus, where she oversaw social and content strategy, lifestyle, beauty, fashion, news, and entertainment. Prior to joining Her Campus, Danielle worked at House Beautiful as Senior Lifestyle Editor, directing and producing feature videos and stories. Danielle also served as Snapchat Editor at Cosmopolitan, overseeing the brands daily Snapchat Discover channel. In 2016, she launched Cosmo Bites — which is now the official food and beverage vertical at Cosmopolitan. That same year, Danielle was named as a Rising Star in the digital media industry by FOLIO Magazine. Danielle got her start in digital media by launching the Her Campus chapter at Fairfield University in 2014, where she acted as Campus Correspondent for 2.5 years, before graduating with a degree in English and creative writing. She enjoys wine, food, and long walks through HomeGoods. Follow Danielle on Instagram!