Why You Should Sport A Short ‘Do

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Fairfield chapter.

Every girl makes the perpetual assertion that one day they will have the courage to chop off their luscious locks in exchange for a different ‘do. How many actually follow through? Maybe after that morning when you hit the snooze button a few…hundred times too many, you wish you had less hair to meddle with. While it can be a daunting decision, the result can be absolutely satisfactory. Whether you chose to ditch just a few extra inches or a whole foot, significant haircuts are nothing to be afraid of. What better time to rock a new hairstyle than the upcoming holiday season?

It’s Convenient

Those extra 10-15 minutes spent blow drying and flat ironing your flowing mane can now be put into more important endeavors, like homework or perfecting the wings of your eyeliner.

It’s Healthy

Long hair looks its best when it’s healthy, not in a tangle of split ends. Even though you may be sacrificing length, your hair will thank you for the cut with a softer touch and shinier look. Also, hair grows more efficiently when it gets trimmed more often, so cutting your hair could ultimately end in hair longer than you started with!

It’s Trendy

You aren’t alone when it comes to wanting to try something new–plenty of celebrities have already decided that their long locks were a thing of the past. Celebrities like Emma Stone, Caroline Flack, Taylor Swift, and Jennifer Lawrence have all received dramatic hair transformations this past year.

You Need a Change

If you’re stuck in a rut this semester, it may be time to switch up your look. Sometimes as girls we just need something extra to motivate us to get out of the bed in the morning and feel confident in front of the mirror. Whether it’s a new hair color or a dramatic new cut, it’s never the wrong time to move towards your best self. 

Amanda McKelvey is a Co-Campus Correspondent and a senior at Fairfield University. She is a Journalism major with minors in Psychology and Communications. In addition to being a CC she has held internships with Michael Kors, CollegeFashionista.com and the Rockville Centre and Baldwin Heralds. In her free time, Amanda enjoys days on the beaches of Long Island, watching Scandal, Chicago Fire and the Bachelorette, eating anything sweet (chocolate, ice cream, cupcakes—you name it!) and reading a good book. She’s excited to spend her senior year living at Fairfield Beach with her best friends including fellow CC Danielle Tullo! You can follow her on Twitter @theAMANDAshowww or on Instagram @ammckelvey.