Why You Should Read theSkimm

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Fairfield chapter.

One of the first things I do every morning is check my email for the daily Skimm newsletter—after coffee, of course. Prior to signing up for theSkimm, I never bothered reading or watching news because 1) I didn’t have enough time in my day to read article after article or watch hours of television, and 2) some of the news stories just didn’t appeal to my interests. Fortunately, theSkimm has truly changed my news consumption habits.

Although keeping up with current events can be a tedious and sometimes depressing task, it’s important to know what’s going on in the world—and no, following the Kardashians on Twitter doesn’t count as “news”. In the age of social media, we are constantly bombarded with so much information. It’s nearly impossible to retain all of the news updates that continuously circulate through our daily lives. Luckily, theSkimm solves the problematic issue of overflowing information—it truly changes the way news is delivered. The daily newsletter presents current events in a concise and convenient manner for millennial women.   

theSkimm’s motto is “we read, you skim”; the newsletter is exactly that: an overview of the most pressing current events. Each newsletter includes a concise news report, brief background analysis and the overall message of the story. In just a few minutes, while having your first (or third) cup of coffee, you’re able to stay up to date with the latest and most important news. Not only is the newsletter extremely informative but, unlike most sources of news, it’s also written in a comical, conversational manner. If you’re not yet subscribed to TheSkimm newsletter, head to theskimm.com to sign up. You won’t regret it, collegiettes!

Pamela is currently in her senior year at Fairfield Univerity where she is majoring in management. In her free time she enjoys working out, spending time with friends and family and binge watching reality television. *guilty*.... Follow her on instagram! @pamelagrant