Why Small Talk is the Worst

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Fairfield chapter.

Small talk: Possibly the most uncomfortable situation we put ourselves through on a daily basis. Whether it is an awkward interaction between past friends or a literal interrogation by a stranger, everyone tries to avoid it. It just makes people uncomfortable and we end up saying things we don’t actually mean or feel. Here are seven awkward go-to phrases people say to break the silence and what actually crosses our minds.

1. Hey how are you?

Our Response: Oh hey, I am SO great!

*Actually I am over tired, haven’t eaten all day and I’m stressed out beyond belief but hey, I’m going to lie and say I’m great anyways.* 

2. Oh my god I love that shirt!

Our Response: Oh stop it’s not even that cute, I love yours too!

* Actually I checked my email everyday for two weeks waiting for this very shirt to arrive in my mail box because it is the cutest thing I have ever seen in my entire life.* 

3. Hey you look pretty today.

Our Response: Oh thanks so do you.

*Whoa back up. What do you mean by just today? So I am just average…mediocre looking…ugly the rest of the 364 days?* 

4. What’s up?

Our Response: Oh hey!

*Wait they just asked me what I was doing/up to and my response was hi…awkward.* 

5. Wow isn’t it so cold out!

Our Response: Yeah I know it’s freezing.

*Actually it’s so cold out it seems like Elsa’s having a meltdown and my fingers are starting to turn blue.* 

6. Oh hey did you hear that rumor about…

Our Response: Oh yeah I heard that…

*To be honest I’ve never even heard their name before but I’ll say I heard it just so I don’t sound like I live under a rock.* 

7. Hey how bout all that homework we got assigned?

Our Response:  Oh it’s not that bad!

*JK…if I complied every homework assignment I have ever gotten since freshman year it would still be less than what we just got assigned but no that isn’t really that bad right?*

Amanda McKelvey is a Co-Campus Correspondent and a senior at Fairfield University. She is a Journalism major with minors in Psychology and Communications. In addition to being a CC she has held internships with Michael Kors, CollegeFashionista.com and the Rockville Centre and Baldwin Heralds. In her free time, Amanda enjoys days on the beaches of Long Island, watching Scandal, Chicago Fire and the Bachelorette, eating anything sweet (chocolate, ice cream, cupcakes—you name it!) and reading a good book. She’s excited to spend her senior year living at Fairfield Beach with her best friends including fellow CC Danielle Tullo! You can follow her on Twitter @theAMANDAshowww or on Instagram @ammckelvey.