thought catalog xVRdDDe6M1A unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
thought catalog xVRdDDe6M1A unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Fairfield chapter.

Phrases like “OMG he snapped me!” and “Did you see her story?” can be heard echoing throughout every dorm. As a generation we are immersed in technology overload. Because of this, our experiences are made public and inevitably judged by those linked to us via social media. Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, Snapchat, Tumblr, etc. are windows into someone’s life. Or rather, part of their life. We post the good times, the celebrations, the extraordinary trips and milestones in our lives, but what about what happens on the other side of the screen? We are all guilty of this, myself included.

I was constantly curious about other people’s lives and how comparable they are to mine. About two months ago I decided to delete my Snapchat. Why does it matter who is grocery shopping with their mom, or who is taking a cross-country road trip. If your “friends” on Snapchat were actively your friends, you would already know these things.

During the first few days of this transition, I found myself subconsciously looking to open the white and yellow ghost out of habit. Motor memory, I guess. At times I felt disconnected, like information was missing. But this information was noise. Noise that fills us with unrealistic expectations of what a “college experience” should be. Noise that makes us feel like we are doing something wrong. By saying these things I am practicing hypocrisy, because I still check Instagram constantly and Facebook on occasion. I think our generation connects in a different, intangible way then that of the previous generations.

Snapchat eliminates certain elements of traditional communication. Unintentional messages suddenly become personal and intentional messages are sometimes driven by jealousy.

That being said, the app can also function as a fun, light hearted medium to send your friends embarrassing photos and videos. In today’s world, it is important to take things with a grain of salt. Balance is key. Emily Dickinson once said, “Forever is composed of nows”— live your life the way you intend to, and be influenced by those who inspire you.

Gabriella is currently a junior at Fairfield University, where she is majoring in Marketing and minoring in Communications. She is Co-Campus Correspondent of Her Campus Fairfield with her roomie/best friend Pamela Grant! Gab can most likely be found with a Venti Starbs in hand, while wearing obnoxiously large sunnies (no shame), reading the most recent issue of Glamour Mag.