Why Cousins Are The Best Friends

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Fairfield chapter.

I really don’t know what I would do without my cousins. They have literally been by my side since day one, and I can’t imagine my life without them or my brother. We’re a team, our own little unit that just works. Even if I don’t see them as often as I’d like, I know that we will always be there for one another.

They Are Like a Sibling, but Slightly Different

Don’t get me wrong I love my brother, but there are some things I need to go to my older cousins for. Very important things…. like what beaches have the best waves or what kind of car I should buy. These are things that little brothers just can’t answer and it is why I am thankful for my cousins.

They Know The Real You

My cousins are older than I am so they have known me my whole life. They have seen me through all of my phases from dancer to tennis player to distance runner to all of the phases in between. What’s important to me is that throughout all of the ups and downs in life, I can come to them and just be me, and they think that’s perfect.  Sometimes words don’t even have to be exchanged to know that you are there for someone.  

You Watched Each Other Grow Up

There is no one else I would have rather grown up with than them. Being the only girl out of all boy cousins and a little brother, I was constantly thrust into activities that were deemed as “boyish”. But I learned a lot from these times and have even come to really enjoy watching sports. I even have a strange understanding of why boys love video games so much. They have always participated in my “girly” activities as well, wearing pink party hats on all of my very girly princess-themed birthday parties and agree to take a cousin holiday selfie with me at all of our family get-togethers. I am so proud of them and all they have accomplished. We have all come a long way.

A Sidekick at Family Functions

I know that some of our family events can be a little boring (sorry fam.), but it means a lot to me that they continue to show up. We have each other to depend on when things get dull and there is always someone to get excited about the small things that happen in our lives.

Someone Who Never Fails to Make You Laugh

My cousins are hands down the funniest people I know. From screaming “Twizzy” at the Twizzler character at Hershey Park when we were little to being able to recite all of the lines to Wedding Crashers I always feel better after each time we hang out together.

Gabriella is currently a junior at Fairfield University, where she is majoring in Marketing and minoring in Communications. She is Co-Campus Correspondent of Her Campus Fairfield with her roomie/best friend Pamela Grant! Gab can most likely be found with a Venti Starbs in hand, while wearing obnoxiously large sunnies (no shame), reading the most recent issue of Glamour Mag.