Why College Students Should Be Extra Thankful This Year

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Fairfield chapter.

Thanksgiving is in just a couple days and if you’re a college student like me, you should be extra grateful this year! Here’s why:

1. Home cooked meals

Turkey, mashed potatoes, stuffing… hello! What’s not to be excited about?!  Let’s make sure we appreciate whoever is making all of this lovely food and be thankful for all of the food on your plate, considering it is better than the ramen you may be eating at college.  Additionally, it is always a nice idea to give back during the holiday season. If you can, donate to people who are less fortunate and aren’t as lucky to have a full plate of food on Thanksgiving.  Show just how thankful you are!  

2. The people in your life

We should all be thankful for our family, friends and significant others…and our pets too.  I know I am extremely grateful for my family and friends at home (who I can’t wait to see), my roommates and friends I have been lucky enough to spend my time at Fairfield with, my wonderful boyfriend and the friends I’ve made through him.  I also can’t wait to be greeted at my door by my two dogs!!  It’s important to think about all of the special people in your life and let them know they’re appreciated this Thanksgiving.  

3. Home

After going to college we realize how special our home and hometown is to us.  I love going home to Long Island and appreciating the beaches (even if it may be freezing out), the local food, and every little thing that I grew up with.  Along with being home, we get to stay in the comfort of our own home, meaning our own shower and our own bed.  Appreciate both your hometown and the town you go to college in. I know I am so thankful to live on Long Island, but also thankful for going to college in a town as beautiful as Fairfield, CT.  

4. Relaxation

We finally get a break!  No classes, no alarms, no obligations. It is such a relief for college students to get a short break this time of year with finals just around the corner.  College students are always busy with their schoolwork, extracurriculars, and their social life at school – no time for relaxation or much sleep! Use this break to catch up on sleep and your favorite Netflix series.  Be thankful for the time you have to relax and focus on yourself. Don’t forget to be thankful for yourself too! While relaxing, take time to celebrate the beautiful and unique person you are.

No matter where you’re from, what you’re eating or whom you’re staying with this Thanksgiving, try to be thankful for all of the good in your life and embrace it.    If possible, help others this holiday and give back; it’ll feel great and you’ll be able to make those who are less fortunate happy this holiday.  Have a happy, healthy and safe Thanksgiving everyone!

Victoria Gracie

Fairfield '18

Victoria is a graduate from Fairfield University with a degree in International Business and Marketing. She's from Long Island and has an intense love for New York City. She hopes to travel the world and always lives life with a positive attitude. A few of her obsessions include pizza, dogs, coffee, and fashion. Follow her on Instagram: @vgraciee
Gabriella is currently a junior at Fairfield University, where she is majoring in Marketing and minoring in Communications. She is Co-Campus Correspondent of Her Campus Fairfield with her roomie/best friend Pamela Grant! Gab can most likely be found with a Venti Starbs in hand, while wearing obnoxiously large sunnies (no shame), reading the most recent issue of Glamour Mag.