Why Black Panther Is So Important

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Fairfield chapter.

The most recent Marvel Universe film is officially here! The newest Marvel superhero, Black Panther played by Chadwick Boseman, debuted in this mind blowing, action packed cinematic experience. I saw this film during a special advanced showing on the Thursday before its Friday, February 16th release date. Unsurprisingly, the showing was completely sold out and the theater was packed! Black Panther made roughly $201 million in ticket sales during its opening weekend, not including Presidents’ Day, making it the fifth largest opening weekend of all time. It is also the highest rated Marvel movie according to Rotten Tomatoes with a 97%.

Experiencing Black Panther before its initial release in a packed theater with tons of other Marvel Universe fans was an experience like no other. Not only was the movie incredible, but the atmosphere was amazing! The theatre was already flooded with people an hour before the movie was supposed to start, and the energy never stopped. People were cheering and clapping throughout the film, including those special after credit scenes that Marvel movies are so famous for.

Black Panther is a stand-out film not just because it is the newest addition to Marvel Universe, or because of its high ratings and box office profit, but because of the social inequalities that it battles. Black Panther challenges two major social trends that are becoming more prevalent as time goes on: the inequality of black people and women. Black Panther challenges these trends with the use of strong, black, female characters. The movie is primarily a black cast, which challenges social trends. It not only includes strong male leads (like Chadwick Boseman as Black Panther), but it also has many strong female leads. While watching the movie the first time (it was so good, that I went and saw it again during opening weekend), I made a comment about the girl power that I felt while watching it. This girl power really made the movie that much more enjoyable for me.

It is extremely powerful to witness the praise that Black Panther received not because it is part of the popular Marvel Universe, but because of the social injustices that it addresses and challenges. Not only was the movie amazing to watch, but it also provided a source of confidence for groups of people who have historically been treated unfairly, such as people of color and women. I can’t think of a better way to get that message across than through an amazing film.

Make sure to see Black Panther in theaters ASAP. You won’t regret it!

Catherine Santangelo is a first year student here at Fairfield University, and is from Pelham, New Hampshire. She is a Communications major, Educational Studies minor, and plans to get her Masters in Elementary Education to become a teacher. In her free time she loves to listen to music, watch the Boston Bruins, and laugh with her friends. She is super excited to be a part of the Her Campus team this year and looks forward to writing many articles for readers to enjoy!
Alexis DiZenzo is a motivated Connecticut native. She attends Fairfield University where she is majoring in digital journalism and minoring in marketing. She is currently co-campus corespondent of Fairfield's Her Campus chapter. Along with managing Her Campus Fairfield, Alexis has interned with The Secured Lender Magazine, and NBC Sports. She is a contributing writer for Elite Daily as well as Thought Catalog. In the early stages of her college career, Alexis has taken the initiative to reach far among the stars and achieve goals early on. She has a great sense of editing, writing, publishing, marketing and leadership as well as strong interpersonal skills. (And a fun-loving, outgoing personality!) Alexis' favorite book (and movie) is The Great Gatsby, she lives by the words of Carrie Bradshaw and you could definitely find her on a beach, soaking up the sun. Instagram @alexisdizenzo www.alexisfdizenzo.com