What You Need to Get Your Mom This Mother’s Day

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Fairfield chapter.

Mother’s Day is quickly approaching and with upcoming finals and the end of the semester, it is easy to lose track of what is really important: family. Moms work hard and luckily, we have a day dedicated to them! Mother’s Day is on May 13th, so make sure to treat your mother this year with some of these gift suggestions.

1. Homemade Video

Homemade videos are a treat from the past that can bring any parent to tears, especially moms. For this Mother’s Day, put together a montage of old videos from your childhood to show how much you love and appreciate your mom! It is super easy to do and doesn’t take much time. It’s a great idea if you’re on a tight budget but want to give your mom something meaningful.

2. Breakfast in Bed/Brunch

For a majority of my childhood it was tradition to bring my mother breakfast in bed. It was a nice surprise for her plus, who doesn’t like eating in bed? Grab your apron and dive straight into the kitchen with your siblings and/or father to pull off a Pinterest worthy breakfast that your mom will appreciate. On the bright side, your mom doesn’t have to cook in the morning! If you know you’re not a good cook, it may be more beneficial to take your mom out to brunch. Make sure to make a reservation in advance to avoid having to wait.

3. Edible Arrangement

For the moms who love fruit, or anything covered in chocolate, order an Edible arrangement in time for Mother’s Day. Not only will you make your mom’s day, but if you’re lucky you may be able to grab a couple of sticks of chocolate covered fruit for yourself! Edible arrangements are an easy way to say “I love you” without having to do too much. If you don’t want to spend the money on buying a premade arrangement, you can make your own!

4. Cookbook

For the moms always looking for new recipes to try in the kitchen, make sure to pick up a new cookbook! Cookbooks are available pretty much anywhere both online and in stores, so it is extremely convenient to pick up while taking into consideration your mom’s interests and passions.

5. Favorite Book

A book is an inexpensive and effective way to showcase how much you love your mom this Mother’s Day. A cute idea for those book worms would be to give your mom a bouquet of books with flowers in the title including Henry James’ Daisy Miller, Ray Bradbury’s Dandelion Wine, and more. Pick up some of her favorites and some new titles that you may make her fall in love with.

6. Spa Day

Moms work hard every day and deserve some time to unwind. Go all out with a facial, massage, and a manicure/pedicure because you know you both deserve one. If your mom doesn’t want to have to leave the house on her special day, then you can always make a “spa day” box filled with bath bombs, scented candles, facemasks and more.  

7. Paint Bar

In a majority of towns and cities there are places that you can go to paint and, if you are of age, drink while doing so. This is a great idea if you are looking to get out of the house and bond with your mom. In this case, Groupon is your friend as sometimes the site offers discounted prices for classes, so you are not breaking the bank.

Whatever you choose to do this Mother’s Day, make sure to make your mom feel extra special and loved, as she should every day!

Amber Shephard

Fairfield '20

Amber Shephard graduated Fairfield University in 2020 where she majored in Psychology and minored in Marketing. 
Alexis DiZenzo is a motivated Connecticut native. She attends Fairfield University where she is majoring in digital journalism and minoring in marketing. She is currently co-campus corespondent of Fairfield's Her Campus chapter. Along with managing Her Campus Fairfield, Alexis has interned with The Secured Lender Magazine, and NBC Sports. She is a contributing writer for Elite Daily as well as Thought Catalog. In the early stages of her college career, Alexis has taken the initiative to reach far among the stars and achieve goals early on. She has a great sense of editing, writing, publishing, marketing and leadership as well as strong interpersonal skills. (And a fun-loving, outgoing personality!) Alexis' favorite book (and movie) is The Great Gatsby, she lives by the words of Carrie Bradshaw and you could definitely find her on a beach, soaking up the sun. Instagram @alexisdizenzo www.alexisfdizenzo.com