This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Fairfield chapter.

Outside of majors that lead to careers in healthcare and business, it can be hard to predict what jobs you will be able to obtain if you pursue certain degrees. Oftentimes, there are majors that seem super interesting and fun, yet we do not pursue them because of the fear of not making enough money. However, if you do your research, you will find that there are opportunities with every degree. I have compiled a list of majors usually viewed as not worthwhile and the skills they provide, as well as the careers they lead to. 

Art History:

Sometimes viewed as a waste of time and money, but this degree offers you many valuable skills. Graduates with this degree acquire skills in research, critical thinking, and cross-cultural communication. Museums and other employers look to hire these graduates as curators, archivists, and positions in business where the communication skills gained are needed. This degree provides a unique set of skills and knowledge that makes you well-rounded and employable. 

Politics: 

Many people see this degree as a guarantee that they will need to attend law school. However, this degree offers you employable skills many other degrees do not offer. Graduates with this degree can be hired to do jobs in political and policy analysis, campaign management, campaign strategy, research, public policy, and advocacy. These careers directly use a degree in politics and pay fairly well. 

Foreign Language and Literature Degrees:

There are more jobs open to these graduates than just teaching and interpreting! Employers hire people with degrees in foreign languages to work in human resources, finance, reporting, the travel industry, and sales. Also, these are all growing fields with so much opportunity for growth!

English: 

English is another degree that provides skills valuable to employers. Critical thinking, writing, and therefore good communication skills, and reading. Employers hire English grads to work in public relations, reporting, sales, the legal field, editing, and writing. 

As you can see, no degree is useless. Studying what you want can always put you in a position to be hirable, and lots of times employers seek out less common degrees to have more perspectives and well-roundedness in their workplace. 

Kara Eckert

Fairfield '26

Kara Eckert is a writer and editor for the Careers and Networking section at the Fairfield University chapter. She writes about ways to kick start your career while attending college and about opportunities for networking around campus. She is dedicated to helping Fairfield students learn about new strategies and opportunities for building a fulfilling career. Kara is a double major in International Studies and Spanish and has a minor in Humanitarian Action. She takes lots of course work that involves writing and editing- which is why she loves Her Campus! Outside of Fairfield, Kara loves skiing and hiking and you can find her in the mountains during breaks from school. She also loves a day trip into New York City to explore the museums. Most notably though, Kara loves shopping!