This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Fairfield chapter.

Where do I go from here? Do I get a job? Do I have one last hot girl summer? These are the questions one asks after their first year of college when everything is up in the air. This summer, there are numerous ways to get ahead, and Her Campus will list and describe 5 things that you can do to boost your resume and stand out to future employers. 

1. A Job

When thinking about what you want to do this summer, a job is probably the first thing that crosses your mind. Especially if your jobs before coming to college were not related to your major. However, as a freshman, it can be difficult to obtain a job that is major-related since employers recognize undergraduates as having little experience. The most they could offer is an internship. Therefore, this summer, any job will still get you ahead of the game. Having a stable full or part-time job allows you to grow your bank account and still have a great summer once the 9-5 is done. 

Some jobs I would suggest to get even more ahead include lifeguarding, sales, and summer camps. Lifeguarding is always a great option, as people are always looking to hire lifeguards, you get a great tan, and you will be CPR certified for future endeavors as long as you go through the training each year. Sales is also a great option, especially if you are majoring in business, as it lets future employers know that you are responsible, can handle money, and are confident in yourself. Although you will be working inside behind a register at a mall or store in town, you can get decent money and great experience. Lastly, summer camps are a perfect option if you want to become a teacher as you get to work with kids and work outside every day. Money. Tan. Experience. 

1. An Internship

An internship is a perfect way to get ahead in your first summer at college. You are more likely to get an internship related to your major than a job. The experience allows you to get an idea of what you would or wouldn’t want to do with your future, and gets employers to recognize you at career fairs. As an added bonus, internships are only a small portion of your summer, so you can still go on vacation with friends and family and get experience at the same time.

1. Summer Courses

If you feel as though your course load is too heavy or will be too difficult for you to manage next semester, summer courses are a great way to get ahead. By taking a few courses in the summer, you could lighten your course load for the fall or spring and could even graduate early depending on your major. The classes take place from May to the beginning of June, so it is similar to when the High School year ends. Which we are all used to. 

1. Research 

Researching has been a huge concept at my high school where students are taking their summer to do research with their respective universities. This is especially effective for science majors because they can research a hypothesis they created or a hypothesis that has not yet been proven. They can then take strides to find a solution and their names could be signed on official research papers where other researchers could cite students. This could be you, and you can become famous this summer.  

1. Avoid Burnout

Even though I spoke about all the things you can do to get ahead this summer, there is one thing that many people overlook- that is rest. Throughout the school year, you most likely experienced burnout or stress and your sleep schedule was out of whack. Take this summer to catch up on sleep and do some self-care. Yes, the above options are great, but take the time to relax and debrief. Depending on your career, there are only a few summers left. So, don’t think about the school year to come, but instead enjoy every second and live in the moment. You deserve it.

XO Charlotte

Hello everyone! My name is Charlotte Savigny, and I am a mechanical engineering major with a math and physics minor at Fairfield University. However, I have a love of writing and cannot wait to share my articles with all of you!