Ways To Make A Top- Knot Look Stylish

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Fairfield chapter.

Slept through your alarm? Rushing to class?  Just having a flat out bad hair day? Have no fear! Top knots are the answer for you on those not so perfect mornings!! I’m here to help you by showing 5 super cute ways to wear quick and easy top knots while still being stylish. I even tried out all of the hairstyles to show you the results!

1.Upside-Down French Braid

This hairstyle is super easy if you know how to French braid, but looks very intricate from the back. I don’t know how to French braid, so I actually had a friend help me out with this one, which only took a few minutes. Just flip your head upside down and start French braiding from the bottom up. Then, flip your head back over and tie it in a top knot with a hair tie!

2.Wrap Around Fishtail Braid Top Knot 

I am personally OBSESSED with fishtail braids, so I love this look! It’s quick, but still looks like you put in a ton of effort. Just put your hair into a high ponytail and fishtail it! Then, just wrap it around into a top knot, securing it with bobby pins or a hair tie. 

3. Crown Braid Top Knot 

This look is a little more time consuming than the first two, but the finished product is beautiful! All you have to do is French braid a crown braid on top of your head (pictured above). Then, tie it into a top knot with a hair tie, wrapping the extra braid around the knot, and securing it with bobby pins.

4.  Bow Top Knot 

This is definitely the hardest look out of all of them, but if you want something a little more out there and have a little extra time on your hands: this look is perfect for you. First, secure your hair in a ponytail on top of your head. Next, wrap another hair tie around your hair, but only pull the hair halfway through the last time around. This will leave your hair in a floppy messy bun. Split the “looped” part of your hair in half.  Pin down each half on either side of the hair tie with bobby pins.  Finally, take the “tail” that is left in the back and wrap it forward between the two separate loops. Pull the tail under the ponytail holder to hide your ends, and the extra pieces in the back. 

5. Half Up, Half Down Top Knot

This style is probably the quickest and my personal favorite!! It’s super easy and looks great on everyone! All you have to do is take some hair from the top of your head, as if your were doing a half up, half down ponytail, and tie it into a mini top knot with either a hair tie or bobby pins.

Victoria Gracie

Fairfield '18

Victoria is a graduate from Fairfield University with a degree in International Business and Marketing. She's from Long Island and has an intense love for New York City. She hopes to travel the world and always lives life with a positive attitude. A few of her obsessions include pizza, dogs, coffee, and fashion. Follow her on Instagram: @vgraciee
Gabriella is currently a junior at Fairfield University, where she is majoring in Marketing and minoring in Communications. She is Co-Campus Correspondent of Her Campus Fairfield with her roomie/best friend Pamela Grant! Gab can most likely be found with a Venti Starbs in hand, while wearing obnoxiously large sunnies (no shame), reading the most recent issue of Glamour Mag.