Vogue Declares “The Era of the Big Booty”

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Fairfield chapter.

The fashion bible Vogue has made a claim that, “We’re officially in the Era of the Big Booty.” The claim does have truth to it, due to different celebrities showing off their “donks,” but it has also stirred up conversation on social media and blogs throughout the Internet. Vogue states that big behinds were nothing we strived for, just something we knew we had to keep toned when working out in the gym. Now, the newest and biggest trend in our era is “The Dawn of the Butt.” In past fashion, a woman’s behind was never something a designer would focus upon. Instead, a woman’s breasts were always the sex appeal for a designer’s collection, large or small. Showing off your curvaceous behind was a scandal in the fashion world before we were introduced to this new era.

Before this booty movement, sex symbols like celebrities Kate Moss and Gwyneth Paltrow didn’t promote a woman with curves. Everyone has his or her own definition of sexy, but once Jennifer Lopez hit the music industry the buzz around her butt changed what we knew as a sex symbol. No longer were abs and cleavage the center of attention in Hollywood, and no longer will size zero jeans exist. Vogue mentions celebrities such as Beyonce, Kim Kardashian and Shakira who drew more attention to their curvy behinds in music and on the red carpet.  What is the big deal around butts and being curvy? It could just be a trend that Vogue wants to claim before any other fashion magazine.  Regardless, the big booty movement has transformed the way we see a woman’s body.

Could the booty movement introduce something more “real” into society or could this era just introduce another era where we constantly obsess over doing squats in the mirror all day long? Although this is a huge image transformation for women and we no longer want to see those “skinny b*tches in the club”, Nicki Minaj thinks this could just be another dangerous act for girls and their body imagine. Will girls with flat behinds be encouraged to have plastic surgery to fit in with the era? The music industry has given butts sex appeal; sometimes not everyone can be part of a changing era and the latest trend. 

This might be a positive change for girls and their bodies, but the music industry is now taking booties to a new level. Songs including “Ancacondaand “Booty” have personified a big butt and changed our views of a women’s body. Celebrities like Kim Kardashian take it to a new level on social media by posting a photo of her butt post-workout or half naked at a photo shoot. Now it is feared that all this talk on butts could lead to another downfall on the way men view women.  Once again, music, media, and news are putting women in the spotlight to be judged on their body parts.

We all remember the famous line, “I don’t think your ready for this Jelly” from Destiny’s Child’s “Bootylicious”, but is our society ready for an era of curvaceous behinds and women who do not rock a size zero jeans? Only time in the ever-unpredictable world of pop culture will tell!

Hi Loves! My names Audriana currently studying Marketing and Journalism at Fairfield University. I'm a Philly girl with a bubbly personality. I love anything Pink! Style icons: Blair Waldorf and Serena Van der Woodsen.  New York City, Iced Tea and Gossip Girl addict. Fell in love with London and traveling while abroad my fall junior semester. Follow my beauty/fashion blog www.beyondyourblowout.com and on instagram  @audrossano
Danielle was previously the Deputy Editor at Her Campus, where she oversaw social and content strategy, lifestyle, beauty, fashion, news, and entertainment. Prior to joining Her Campus, Danielle worked at House Beautiful as Senior Lifestyle Editor, directing and producing feature videos and stories. Danielle also served as Snapchat Editor at Cosmopolitan, overseeing the brands daily Snapchat Discover channel. In 2016, she launched Cosmo Bites — which is now the official food and beverage vertical at Cosmopolitan. That same year, Danielle was named as a Rising Star in the digital media industry by FOLIO Magazine. Danielle got her start in digital media by launching the Her Campus chapter at Fairfield University in 2014, where she acted as Campus Correspondent for 2.5 years, before graduating with a degree in English and creative writing. She enjoys wine, food, and long walks through HomeGoods. Follow Danielle on Instagram!