Update: Lamar Odom Making Progress After Wild Weekend Getaway

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Fairfield chapter.

Former NBA player and Olympian, Lamar Odom, is making steps towards recovery. The athlete was admitted to Las Vegas’ Sunrise Hospital following an overdose on alcohol and a host of drugs at a Nevada brothel, where he spent over $75,000 over the course of three days. He was rushed to the emergency room last Tuesday when he was found unresponsive at Love Ranch. Estranged wife Khloé Kardashian has been by his bedside since admission to the hospital. Odom’s family and the rest of the Kardashian-Jenner clan have also made visits to the Nevada hospital

Odom was in a coma up until last Friday, and has made progress since waking up. Some significant improvements include speaking (the first time he spoke was to say “Hi” to Khloé), breathing without a ventilator, and communicating through hand signals.

On Monday night, Odom was discharged from the Las Vegas hospital and was transported to Cedars-Sinai in L.A., accompanied by Khloé. Despite improvements, he may need a kidney transplant, is being treated for aspiration pneumonia, and is still unable to stand up, even with assistance. It is also believed that he suffered from multiple strokes while at the brothel.

Khloé released her first statement on the incident, saying, “The past week has been incredibly difficult,” and is “so thankful to family, friends and fans, who have sent nothing but well wishes to Lamar”.

Odom is “making fast progress” and has a strong support group as well as some of the best doctors standing behind him.

Josephine (Josie) Lekkas is a Junior at Fairfield University majoring in Business and Art History with a minor in PR and a passion for the French language and culture. She loves to write about Fashion, Current Events, Travel & Lifestyle. She is an avid digital media user and influencer with a passion for following the evolution of digital technology and it's many uses for business growth and strategy. On top of her double major course load, she works part-time in Manhattan at Group SJR, a digital marketing and advertising firm. Follow her on instagram @josie_lekkas!
Pamela is currently in her senior year at Fairfield Univerity where she is majoring in management. In her free time she enjoys working out, spending time with friends and family and binge watching reality television. *guilty*.... Follow her on instagram! @pamelagrant