Career

The Ultimate Guide to Dressing for Your Internship

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Fairfield chapter.

Hello Collegiettes! We hope that you all had a wonderful and restful winter break and are as ready as we are to get back into the swing of things! As it’s the start of the second semester, a popular struggle we all have is figuring out what to wear to internships, or even simply to the Career Fair! As the due dates approach for those internships, it’s important to figure out what attire is required! 

It all starts with what sort of internship you have. If the company has a strict dress code, then you must follow that! If they’re more relaxed, it’s important to stay with business casual. Even though it’s an internship and not an entry-level position, dressing the part is just as important as the actual role. Oftentimes, companies like to hire people they’ve worked with in the past, like from an internship! If you look the part and fit in, there’s an even higher chance you will be hired! 

Some of our all-time favorite places to shop for internships are Loft, Express, Madewell, H&M, New York & Company, and Banana Republic. Most of these places offer sales depending on the season, and even student discounts since business casual can add up! 

Another thing we cannot stress enough is to make sure you are comfortable in the clothing you are wearing! My favorite pair of dress pants is from Loft, and they are my go-to. If you find something you love, like a specific cut of dress pants, buy them in every color. Also, just a piece of advice, sometimes the plainer tops are the best too! You can spice them up with a blazer or jewelry. Also, avoid the high heels. Stick with low heel or no heel-you’ll thank me later! Here is a great outfit idea for you all: 

When in doubt, ask the campus recruiter what type of clothing is best for the company! That’s all we have for our guide to dressing for your internships! We wish you the best of luck as applications are flowing and the next Career Fair approaches! We’re happy to be back and writing again for a great new semester!

Erica Salisbury

Fairfield '22

Erica is a Senior at Fairfield University majoring in Accounting with a minor in Digital Journalism. She has always loved fashion, beauty, and lifestyle, and is so excited to be a part of Her Campus again at Fairfield! She cannot wait to see all the things in store for her during her last year at Fairfield, especially with being involved in Her Campus.
I am a Junior Marketing Major with a concentration in digital and social media marketing and a Finance minor at Fairfield University. I am a creative, driven, and hardworking individual who loves fashion and beauty.