A Tribute to Dr. Gisela Gil-Egui

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Fairfield chapter.

Dr. Gisela Gil-Egui was the first to crack a joke about how she was from Venezuela and she would only fit some of the stereotypes, so we didn’t have to worry. Also, if you couldn’t understand her, speak up, because her accent was thick.

As the class unfolded, she told stories about how she studied journalism and was a reporter after college in Venezuela. Not many students understood the gravity of that. She was tough.

Dr. Gisela Gil-Egui, Associate Professor of Communication, died on December 30th along with her husband, mother, and brother in a wrong-way collision on I-95 in Miami. Reports of the accident tell the story of a woman driving a white-pick up truck hitting the Hyundai Dr. Gil-Egui was traveling in head on.

On campus, there was no one quite as sharp or dynamic and her energy was infectious. In the process of writing this article, I stumbled across her ratemyprofessor.com page and the comments left by her students say more than an obituary or I could convey.

“Dr. Gil-Egui is very kind and empathetic. She works harder than most teachers and you have to be consistent to do well in this class. I strongly recommend taking one of her courses. Be prepared to read”

“MY FAVORITE TEACHER AT FAIRFIELD”

“…She is very smart and willing to help you, just put in the effort”

These quotes were just some of the many posted by students anonymously and speak to the level of appreciation felt by the campus community. Coming to Fairfield, Gisela had spoken at the Accepted Students Day and at the start of school I just happened to be in her class. I participated, but the first time I really spoke to her was during advising. As I walked into her office, she looked at me and said: “Honestly, I expected you to be more ethnic.”

In that moment, we both laughed. There was something soothing about the informality and the way she approached each and every relationship. Her loss has devastated a community on a global scale. I believe that her humility would have prevented her from seeing the lives she has touched and the impact she has made. To describe her in one word: Dr. Gisela Gil-Egui was genuine. I, like countless others, am incredibly grateful to have known her. 

Caroline Metcalf-Vera is a sophomore at Fairfield University majoring in Communications. Here at Her Campus Fairfield, she is the Executive News Editor. When she isn't in class or writing you'll probably find her camped out in the Mezz with at least three beverages. Guilty pleasures consist of: cotton candy ice cream and early 2000s rap.
Gabriella is currently a junior at Fairfield University, where she is majoring in Marketing and minoring in Communications. She is Co-Campus Correspondent of Her Campus Fairfield with her roomie/best friend Pamela Grant! Gab can most likely be found with a Venti Starbs in hand, while wearing obnoxiously large sunnies (no shame), reading the most recent issue of Glamour Mag.