Top 5 Reasons You Need to Utilize Fairfield’s Career Planning Center

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Fairfield chapter.

It’s safe to say that life is pretty good being a Fairfield Stag. From beach days to townhouse nights and amazing teachers to interesting lectures, being a Fairfield Student is what makes our college years filled with moments we will never forget. Yet, for better or for worse, the memories we have and the choices we make can often stay with us far beyond graduation.

One of the best decisions any ambitious collegiette can make is to utilize Fairfield’s Career Planning Center. It doesn’t matter if you are a freshman still finding your way around campus or a senior applying for jobs and further education; these 5 reasons prove that Fairfield’s Career Planning Center can ease anyone’s transition to entering the real world.

Reason #1: You don’t have a LinkedIn (or your have one and have no idea why it’s useful)

Unlike your latest Instagram from last Saturday night with your friends, think of LinkedIn like a social media networking platform that can actually help you advance through your undergraduate career. The Career Planning Center can get you started with a professional photo for your profile and an organized representation of your work experiences, your school accomplishments, and the activities you’re involved in. More importantly though, they will help guide you through making strategic connections with alumni and employers to give you an advantage in the job and internship hunt in your near future.

Reason #2: Your resume and cover letter need work 

When it comes to a resume, every collegiette needs one and needs to know how to tailor both their resume and cover letter to the employer they want to reach out to. Through the various resume workshops and peer review sessions offered throughout the year, the career planning center will help you walk away with a flawless resume and cover letter to send with confidence to your next job or internship location.

Reason #3: Just the thought of an interview gives you anxiety

Many times, even an interview as short as 10 minutes via Skype or over the phone can be the determining factor of your employment. The Career Planning Center offers students the ability to schedule mock interviews to help advise you about the types of questions you should prepare for, the appropriate attire you should wear, and the questions that you should ask as well.

Reason #5: You have no idea what you are doing with you life and have no idea what you want to do in the future 

It’s perfectly okay to have no idea what you want to do, but to sit back and believe that your dream job is going to fall into your lap is simply not realistic. You have to work for what you want and if you don’t know what that is, at least allow the amazing staff at the Career Planning Center to help guide you. They have the tools to help you discover the major and minor you want to study, the self-assessment tests to help you discover your strengths, a database on Stags4Hire to help you find your next job or internship, and even job shadow programs to give you a taste of a career field you may want to explore.

So collegiettes, take advantage of the Fairfield’s Career Planning Center staff who are supportive, encouraging, and dedicated to helping you excel along your unique road to success.

To schedule an appointment with a career counselor call (203) 254-4081 or stop by their offices located in the Kelly Center.

For updates on events and postings of job and internship opportunities check out their Twitter https://twitter.com/FairfieldCPC, Instagram https://instagram.com/fairfieldCPC/, Facebook https://www.facebook.com/FairfieldCPC , and orgsync. 

Camille Giacovas is a sophomore at Fairfield University with an International Studies major and an English minor with a concentration in Professional Writing.  She dreams of traveling the world and she strongly believes in the power of living a positive life. She is a lover of hot yoga, running and finding the little things in life that bring her joy. Her mornings would not be complete without a chai tea latte. 
Gabriella is currently a junior at Fairfield University, where she is majoring in Marketing and minoring in Communications. She is Co-Campus Correspondent of Her Campus Fairfield with her roomie/best friend Pamela Grant! Gab can most likely be found with a Venti Starbs in hand, while wearing obnoxiously large sunnies (no shame), reading the most recent issue of Glamour Mag.