The Top 5 Best Dry Shampoos

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Fairfield chapter.

Although dry shampoo has been around since the 1940s, only recently has it been experiencing a boom- and we couldn’t be happier. This nearly foolproof product is perfect for preserving a blowout or zapping oil in a flash; it’s the lazy collegiette’s dream. With so many different brands and kinds on the market, it can be hard to know which is worth it. No need to worry- we have complied a list of tried and true fan favorites.

1. Aveeno Active Naturals Pure Renewal Dry Shampoo, $7.49 Aveeno is great because it is sulfate-free, which makes it perfect for color-treated hair. It also zaps oil and amps up hair’s volume without the separation that sometimes happens with other dry shampoos. 

2.  Batiste Original, $7.99 I’ve tried my fair share of dry shampoos, but I keep coming back to Batiste. It’s everything you want in a dry shampoo: absorbs oil, preserves second day hair, and adds volume and texture. When it comes to dry shampoo, it’s important that a product doesn’t leave residue and make your hair feel more greasy than before- something I never have to worry about with Batiste. Batiste offers seven different scents ensuring there’s something for everyone. My favorites are Original and Fresh. Pro tip: you can get Batiste at Target or drugstores, but I always find it at Marshall’s for half the price. 

3.     Not Your Mother’s Clean Freak Refreshing Dry Shampoo, $6.19 Whenever I’m out of Batiste dry shampoo, I always turn to Not Your Mother’s. It gives hair a light, fresh smell, although there’s an unscented version as well. NYM is not exceptional, but it does the trick at a great price. Beware of using too much, as it can be hard to blend if you overdo it. 

4.     Klorane Gentle Dry Shampoo with Oat Milk, $20 This dry shampoo means business! Models and celebrity stylists swear by it, and its won awards from Allure and Marie Claire. It is paraben-free and sulfate-free, plus the oat milk extracts leave hair feeling soft without traces of residue. 

5. Bumble and bumble Prète-à-Powder, $27 True, this is a powder, not an aerosol, but don’t be intimidated. Bumble and bumble products deliver, and this is no exception. The powder formula gives you more control and precision when applying it. The fine powder makes this optimal for fine hair.

A word to the wise when using dry shampoo, make sure to hold the can 6 inches away from your hair, and let it sit a few minutes before brushing it in- that way it has time to absorb the oil!

Originally from Boston, Caroline is a sophomore International Studies major and French minor at Fairfield University. She is a News Editor for Her Campus Fairfield as well as the Twitter Account Manager. When not hitting the books you can find her talking about cats and over posting on Instagram as @wiccancool.
Pamela is currently in her senior year at Fairfield Univerity where she is majoring in management. In her free time she enjoys working out, spending time with friends and family and binge watching reality television. *guilty*.... Follow her on instagram! @pamelagrant