TOMS One For One, For All Takes on Target

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Fairfield chapter.

TOMS are easily one of the most comfortable, yet stylish pairs of shoes. They are easy to slip on when you are in a rush, especially for those dreadful 8 A.M classes. The small blue and white striped logo on the back of the shoe is instantly recognizable and is the trademark of the immensely successful retailer.  

TOMS are versatile shoes; they’re available in various colors and patterns and can be paired with almost any outfit. The image of TOMS is molded around the philanthropic mission of that company. For each pair of TOMS sold, a pair of shoes is donated to a child in need. The One for One initiative began when founder, Blake Mycoskie, visited Argentina in 2006 and was inspired by the local kids who were deprived of a simple pair of shoes to protect their feet.

TOMS is giving back in a different way this holiday season. TOMS has teamed up with popular retailer, Target, to create a new line called ‘Target + TOMS’.

In Target’s press release for the collab, the store detailed, “For every Target + Toms gift you buy, we’re giving shoes, a blanket, or meals to those in need” (Target.com).

The collection includes an assortment of apparel, accessories, home goods, and shoes- each reasonably priced under $50. The collection launched in stores on November 16, 2014. Many of the products are already out of stock online, which means you need to get to your local Target as soon as possible (Target.com).

Target + TOMS is expected to give 11 million meals, blankets, and shoes to Americans and Canadians in need throughout the holiday season. This exclusive collaboration is one that many did not see coming, but it has customers hurrying to nearby stores to take advantage of the limited edition items, including blankets, water bottles, hoodies, t-shirts, bracelets, candles, picture frames, journals, hats, scarves, and even IPhone cases.

Target + TOMS encourages customers to get a head start on holiday shopping this year and to consider giving back to those in need as well. As said by Mycoskie, “The collection provides Target’s guests with a more meaningful way to shop this holiday season” (Forbes.com). This is a thought that we should all keep in mind this year. Step back from the holiday shopping craze, take into account the true meaning of the holidays, and give a gift that truly counts.

Hi, I'm Christina! I am currently a junior here at Fairfield University majoring in Communications and minoring in Marketing. I am so happy to be a part of the Her Campus Fairfield team, and I look forward to writing articles for the News and Blog sections. Always follow your dreams and do what you love!
Amanda McKelvey is a Co-Campus Correspondent and a senior at Fairfield University. She is a Journalism major with minors in Psychology and Communications. In addition to being a CC she has held internships with Michael Kors, CollegeFashionista.com and the Rockville Centre and Baldwin Heralds. In her free time, Amanda enjoys days on the beaches of Long Island, watching Scandal, Chicago Fire and the Bachelorette, eating anything sweet (chocolate, ice cream, cupcakes—you name it!) and reading a good book. She’s excited to spend her senior year living at Fairfield Beach with her best friends including fellow CC Danielle Tullo! You can follow her on Twitter @theAMANDAshowww or on Instagram @ammckelvey.