Super Bowl Preview: Things You Should Know

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Fairfield chapter.

It’s time to over-indulge on chips and wings while watching the New England Patriots versus the Washington Seahawks in Super Bowl 49. From hilarious commercials, intense football, and performances by Idina Menzel, John Legend, and Katy Perry, we have a lot to look forward too. Since football can get a bit confusing, here’s everything you should know while watching this years Super Bowl! 

Who: The New England Patriots and the Seattle SeahawksWhere: University of Phoenix Stadium, Glendale, ArizonaWhen: 6:30 PM EST on NBCPatriot Key Players: Tom Brady (Quarterback), LeGarrette Blount (Running Back), Rob Gronkowksi (Tight End), Darelle Revis (Cornerback), Julian Edelman (Wide Receiver), Jamie Collins (Linebacker)Seahawk Key Players: Russell Wilson (Quarterback), Marshawn Lynch (Running Back), Richard Sherman (Cornerback), Kam Chancellor (Safety), Earl Thomas (Safety), Byron Maxwell (Cornerback)Coaches: Bill Belichick (Patriots), Pete Carroll (Seahawks)

Game Objective:The offensive team’s main goal is to move the football down to the defensive team’s end zone to score a touch down. The quarterback either runs the ball himself or passes it to another player who then attempts to run the ball down the field and into the end zone. If the player with the ball is tackled or is out of bounds, the play is over. The offensive team has 4 tries to advance 10 yards down the field; each “try” is referred to as a “down”. If the offense advances more than 10 yards, they get a first down, which means that they get another 4 attempts to run the ball before the possession changes.

If the offensive team scores a touch down, they can gain an extra point by kicking the ball through the goal posts in the end zone. If the offensive team doesn’t score a touch down but is close enough to the end zone on a fourth down, the team may attempt to kick a field goal through the goal posts.

The possession of the ball can change if the quarterback throws an interception—an interception occurs when a defensive player catches an offensive pass. Additionally, if the offensive team doesn’t make it 10 yards after 4 downs, possession is given to the other team.

What to Expect This Sunday…According to ESPN, the Patriots are favored to win. Both teams were the number one seed in their conference, and the last time they played against each other the Seahawks beat the Patriots by a single point. To make it more intense, quarterback legacies are also on the line. Tom Brady currently holds the record for the youngest QB in NFL history to win two Super Bowls in a row. Russell Wilson is now competing for that exact title. Will Brady keep be able to keep his legacy? Who will you be rooting for this Sunday, collegiettes?

Danielle was previously the Deputy Editor at Her Campus, where she oversaw social and content strategy, lifestyle, beauty, fashion, news, and entertainment. Prior to joining Her Campus, Danielle worked at House Beautiful as Senior Lifestyle Editor, directing and producing feature videos and stories. Danielle also served as Snapchat Editor at Cosmopolitan, overseeing the brands daily Snapchat Discover channel. In 2016, she launched Cosmo Bites — which is now the official food and beverage vertical at Cosmopolitan. That same year, Danielle was named as a Rising Star in the digital media industry by FOLIO Magazine. Danielle got her start in digital media by launching the Her Campus chapter at Fairfield University in 2014, where she acted as Campus Correspondent for 2.5 years, before graduating with a degree in English and creative writing. She enjoys wine, food, and long walks through HomeGoods. Follow Danielle on Instagram!