Style > Beauty

Sunscreens for Each Skin Type

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Fairfield chapter.

Summer is right around the corner, which means minimal time will be spent inside. With days spent outdoors comes major sun exposure! You need to protect your skin from those powerful UV rays. Trust us, future-you will thank you! It can be stressful to find the right sunscreen for your unique skin type. Don’t worry, because we’ve put together 4 of the best sunscreens!

1. If your skin tends to be on the oily side, you need to be very careful when picking your sunscreen. Many formulas can make oily skin appear even more greasy. Oily skin does best with formulas with gel or alcohol or with lighter lotions.

Try: Neutrogena Ultra Sheer liquid sunscreen SPF 50

2. If you’re someone with dry skin, we suggest using daily moisturizers that contains sunscreen to provide the skin with soothing relief and sun protection.

Try: Avene High Protection Mineral Cream, SPF 50 (it will be sure to do the trick)

3. People who battle with acne seem to have a misconception that using sunscreens and moisturizes will cause them to break out more. However, that isn’t true at all! People with acne-prone skin should select a light moisturizer with sunscreen and choose products with a “non-comedogenic” label, meaning that it will not cause acne.

Try: CeraVe Facial Moisturizing Lotion AM SPF 30

4. Chemical sunscreens are the way to go for people with darker skin tones because they tend to look more natural.  If your skin is on the darker side, you should look for sheer broad-spectrum coverage in a lotion or cream!

Try: Aveeno Positively Radiant Daily Facial Moisturizer With Broad Spectrum SPF 30

Happy Tanning Ladies! HCXO

Alexis DiZenzo is a motivated Connecticut native. She attends Fairfield University where she is majoring in digital journalism and minoring in marketing. She is currently co-campus corespondent of Fairfield's Her Campus chapter. Along with managing Her Campus Fairfield, Alexis has interned with The Secured Lender Magazine, and NBC Sports. She is a contributing writer for Elite Daily as well as Thought Catalog. In the early stages of her college career, Alexis has taken the initiative to reach far among the stars and achieve goals early on. She has a great sense of editing, writing, publishing, marketing and leadership as well as strong interpersonal skills. (And a fun-loving, outgoing personality!) Alexis' favorite book (and movie) is The Great Gatsby, she lives by the words of Carrie Bradshaw and you could definitely find her on a beach, soaking up the sun. Instagram @alexisdizenzo www.alexisfdizenzo.com