Study Break: 7 Celebrity Cover Songs You NEED To Hear

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Fairfield chapter.

Who doesn’t love it when a new version of one of your favorite songs surfaces somewhere online? Sometimes cover songs are just as good or even better than the original songs, especially when other well-known musicians are performing them. Even if you don’t love celeb covers they provide 3 to 5 musical minutes of entertainment each and a very welcome study break. Check out these cool covers by fellow celebrities.

1. Miley Cyrus covering Lana Del Rey’s “Summertime Sadness”.

Even though Miley has many critics as far as her vocal abilities go, (among other things), she nails Lana’s haunting anthem.

2. Ed Sheeran and Passenger remixing “No Diggity” by Black Street and “Thrift Shop” by Macklemore and Ryan Lewis.

This 90s R&B hit meets Mackelmorean Rap performed by two great singer-songwriters. What else could you want?

3. Justin Timberlake jamming out to the Jackson’s “Shake Your Body (Down to the Ground)”.

Move over Michael Jackson, JT is officially the new ‘prince of pop’. This cover just makes you want to get up and dance! At the very least you should enjoy watching the handsome Justin Timberlake do his thing.

4. Thirty Seconds to Mar’s rock version of Rihanna’s “Stay”.

The only people who could make a Rihanna song cooler than it’s original.

5. John Mayer’s acoustic version of “XO” by Beyonce.

This surprising choice in cover song caused crazy buzz on the Internet. Long live Queen Bey (and John Mayer’s cover).

6. Weezer performing “Viva la Vida” by Coldplay.

Nothing could make this mellowed out Coldplay cover better, except for some Dad dance moves a la Rivers Cuomo. Dance on.

7. Usher taking “Pumped Up Kicks” by Foster The People to a whole new level.

Wait… am I the only person who didn’t know that Usher player the guitar? 

Megan is a Fairfield University senior majoring in English and journalism from Long Island, New York. She is the Fashion Director and a devoted writer for Her Campus Fairfield as well as a part-time Editorial Web Intern at Cosmopolitan.com in New York City. Some of Megan's favorite things are the beach, Spotify playlists, Harry Potter and Instagram. Follow her on Twitter and Instagram! 
Danielle was previously the Deputy Editor at Her Campus, where she oversaw social and content strategy, lifestyle, beauty, fashion, news, and entertainment. Prior to joining Her Campus, Danielle worked at House Beautiful as Senior Lifestyle Editor, directing and producing feature videos and stories. Danielle also served as Snapchat Editor at Cosmopolitan, overseeing the brands daily Snapchat Discover channel. In 2016, she launched Cosmo Bites — which is now the official food and beverage vertical at Cosmopolitan. That same year, Danielle was named as a Rising Star in the digital media industry by FOLIO Magazine. Danielle got her start in digital media by launching the Her Campus chapter at Fairfield University in 2014, where she acted as Campus Correspondent for 2.5 years, before graduating with a degree in English and creative writing. She enjoys wine, food, and long walks through HomeGoods. Follow Danielle on Instagram!