sarah gualtieri 9CApNIkRXRI unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
sarah gualtieri 9CApNIkRXRI unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

The Struggles of Finding a Halloween Costume

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Fairfield chapter.

The only thing scarier than ghosts and goblins is not having a costume the week before Halloween! With midterms, our PSL obsessions, and pumpkin picking adventures taking over our schedules, choosing a Halloween costume fell to the bottom of the to-do list.

Since  there isn’t a spell to make the perfect Halloween costume appear, here are the ~spooky struggles~ of finding a Halloween costume.

1. Doing a Group Costume or Solo Costume

One of the struggles of figuring out a Halloween costume is deciding whether to do a costume with friends, or ride solo. On one hand, a group costume is incentive to get the outfit sooner because other people are in on it too. But, going solo allows you to be creative and do whatever you want. Oh decisions, decisions.

2. Going Risqué or Doing Something Funny

Another struggle is deciding what type of Halloween costume you want to wear this year. Do you dress in a panda suit, because who doesn’t love pandas? Or do you choose a mouse costume like Karen from Mean Girls because she totally nailed it. SOS!

3. Trying to Be Different

The thought of walking into a party and having the same costume as half the girls there is worse than any scary Halloween movie scene ever! The struggle to be different and creative is seriously tough when all you want to be is Moana, just like everyone else. If only the “dibs rule” applied to Halloween costumes. *sigh*

4. Choosing a Costume That People Don’t Understand

Another Halloween nightmare is walking into a party with a costume on and someone saying, “What are you supposed to be?” (“I am a mouse, duh.”) Nothing is worse than having your Halloween costume efforts go unrecognized.

5. Not Being Able to Get the Costume in Time

Talk about the ultimate online shopping curse: ordering a costume and not receiving it in time! Now what? What will you be now? You already blew all of your money on that one! Cue the panic attack worse than one any Halloween haunted house could trigger.

6. Costume Online Shopping Disaster

Ordering a costume online is definitely a risky move considering there a few things that could go wrong. If it does come on time, the costume could not fit right, or even worse… look completely different than it did in the pictures. Why do bad things happen to good people?

English major with a concentration in journalism
Alexis DiZenzo is a motivated Connecticut native. She attends Fairfield University where she is majoring in digital journalism and minoring in marketing. She is currently co-campus corespondent of Fairfield's Her Campus chapter. Along with managing Her Campus Fairfield, Alexis has interned with The Secured Lender Magazine, and NBC Sports. She is a contributing writer for Elite Daily as well as Thought Catalog. In the early stages of her college career, Alexis has taken the initiative to reach far among the stars and achieve goals early on. She has a great sense of editing, writing, publishing, marketing and leadership as well as strong interpersonal skills. (And a fun-loving, outgoing personality!) Alexis' favorite book (and movie) is The Great Gatsby, she lives by the words of Carrie Bradshaw and you could definitely find her on a beach, soaking up the sun. Instagram @alexisdizenzo www.alexisfdizenzo.com