Struggles And Tips For Finding A Senior Year Beach House

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Fairfield chapter.

One of the most exciting parts of senior year is the chance to live off campus in a beach house. However, the process of finding the perfect house to live in senior year can be difficult.

Here are some known struggles and tips to help you navigate through this stressful process!

1. Finding People To Live With

One of the most stressful parts of trying to figure out living arrangements for senior year is finding roommates. This can be hard because most houses only hold a maximum of 4 people, creating a problem if you have a large group. If you have a large friend group, look for houses early in order to find a house that can fit that amount of people you want to live with.

2. Start Looking For Houses Early

It is really important to start looking for houses as early as possible, ideally around sophomore year. Although it may seem insane to look for a house as a sophomore, it is recommended because houses go so fast. Don’t forget the early bird gets the worm, collegiettes!

3. Finding “The List”

“The List” refers to the list of landlords with their houses and contact information. The best way to get one is to contact an upperclassman you may know and ask for it. Every senior knows the struggle of having to hunt down someone for the list, so they’ll probably be more than happy to send it to you!

4. Contacting Landlords

Contacting landlords can be a very awkward and tedious process, especially if every house seems to have already been taken. However, it is important to keep going and always be polite. There’s bound to be a house that hasn’t been taken, so don’t worry! Best of luck, collegiettes!

5. Touring Houses

The top things students are looking for when touring a house are a nice kitchen, the number of bedrooms, and if there is a soundproof basement. Although these are good amenities, it is important to look for other things such as fire alarms or if the house is properly secured. It is also a good idea to have a parent tour the house with you to make sure the house is safe.

6. Signing the Contract

The final step after finding the perfect house is signing the contract. It is important that everyone is on the same page with paying the set amount plus utilities. Signing a contract is serious, so make sure everything is discussed before doing so. But on the plus side, you finally signed for a house and senior year is going to be the best year yet!

English major with a concentration in journalism
Alexis DiZenzo is a motivated Connecticut native. She attends Fairfield University where she is majoring in digital journalism and minoring in marketing. She is currently co-campus corespondent of Fairfield's Her Campus chapter. Along with managing Her Campus Fairfield, Alexis has interned with The Secured Lender Magazine, and NBC Sports. She is a contributing writer for Elite Daily as well as Thought Catalog. In the early stages of her college career, Alexis has taken the initiative to reach far among the stars and achieve goals early on. She has a great sense of editing, writing, publishing, marketing and leadership as well as strong interpersonal skills. (And a fun-loving, outgoing personality!) Alexis' favorite book (and movie) is The Great Gatsby, she lives by the words of Carrie Bradshaw and you could definitely find her on a beach, soaking up the sun. Instagram @alexisdizenzo www.alexisfdizenzo.com