roman kraft ZoAlN3 pJO8 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
roman kraft ZoAlN3 pJO8 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Starbucks is Being Sued For Under-Filling Lates

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Fairfield chapter.

Our favorite coffee brand might be in trouble…

On Wednesday March 16, Siera Strumlauf and Benjamin Robles of Northern California filed a class action lawsuit claiming lattes were under filled by 25 percent.

The court document states, “Starbucks Lattes are made from a standardized recipe, which Starbucks instituted in 2009 to save on the cost of milk- one of its most expensive ingredients.”

With that being said, when baristas fill the lattes with milk, they seem to be shortchanging customers. The Starbucks menu claims to serve drinks that are tall (12 fluid ounces), grande (16 fluid ounces), and grande (20 fluid ounces), but by only filling milk to the “fill to” lines, customers are getting less than what they paid for.  

Siera Strumlauf who typically bought a grande plain and vanilla latte said she would not have purchased the grande lattes for $3.95 if she had known they were not 16 ounces.

According to Eater, a Starbucks spokesperson said, “We are aware of the plaintiffs’ claims, which we fully believe to be without merit. We are proud to serve our customers high-quality, handcrafted and customized beverages, and we inform customers of the likelihood of variations.”

Gabriella is currently a junior at Fairfield University, where she is majoring in Marketing and minoring in Communications. She is Co-Campus Correspondent of Her Campus Fairfield with her roomie/best friend Pamela Grant! Gab can most likely be found with a Venti Starbs in hand, while wearing obnoxiously large sunnies (no shame), reading the most recent issue of Glamour Mag.