Stags Go Pro: Mark Bordonaro of Fairfield University Baseball

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Fairfield chapter.

Berlin, Connecticut native Mark Bordonaro became an overnight celebrity within the Fairfield University community after he signed with the Seattle Mariners. He committed to the Mariners after being drafted in the 25th round of the 2012 Major League Baseball First-Year Player Draft. After signing his contract, Mark was sent to the Everett AquaSox, the Mariners Short-A affiliate, to begin his professional pitching career.

Her Campus: Did you play college baseball with the intentions of going to the MLB or did you surprise yourself? 

Mark Bordonaro: When I originally came to Fairfield I had always hoped to one day play professional baseball but my main priority was to have a successful college baseball career first. It wasn’t until the 2012 MLB Draft during my junior year that I realized that my dream of becoming a professional baseball player was probably going to become a reality.

HC: What was the most difficult aspect of leaving the college life behind to go on the road with the Everett AquaSox?

MB: Once I was drafted, I made the decision to sign professionally and leave college a year early. The most difficult aspect of the situation was the decision to skip my senior year living at the beach knowing that there was the possibility of not graduating college until after my baseball career was over. In addition to leaving Fairfield behind, I had to leave my family and friends in order to move across the country to fulfill my dream of becoming a major league baseball player. 

HC: How has Fairfield University athletics, including your coach and team, supported you throughout your decision?

MB: Fairfield Athletics has been very supportive of my decision to continue my baseball career at the professional level. The Athletic Department has helped me with my academic standing, keeping me on track to graduate as soon as possible. The support of my coaches and training staff continue even today- they still welcome me into the Athletic Center daily, which has given me the opportunity to prepare for spring training in March while still being at school.

HC: What is your major, and if you weren’t playing baseball what career path do you see yourself taking? 

MB: I am a Marketing and Management major in the Dolan School of Business. After my baseball career is over, I could potentially see myself being a business owner or holding a marketing position with a professional baseball organization.

HC: What has been your favorite aspect of being a Fairfield University baseball player?           

MB: Fairfield University baseball has provided me with great friends and many unforgettable memories with my teammates. I enjoyed the road trips with my teammates and the opportunity to win a MAAC championship every year.

HC: Do you have any advice to aspiring Fairfield athletes looking to get drafted?

MB: My advice to current Fairfield athletes looking to move onto a professional career would be to enjoy their time as a college athlete and focus on being successful at the college level. Hard work and staying focused will be the key to moving onto the professional level. 

Amanda McKelvey is a Co-Campus Correspondent and a senior at Fairfield University. She is a Journalism major with minors in Psychology and Communications. In addition to being a CC she has held internships with Michael Kors, CollegeFashionista.com and the Rockville Centre and Baldwin Heralds. In her free time, Amanda enjoys days on the beaches of Long Island, watching Scandal, Chicago Fire and the Bachelorette, eating anything sweet (chocolate, ice cream, cupcakes—you name it!) and reading a good book. She’s excited to spend her senior year living at Fairfield Beach with her best friends including fellow CC Danielle Tullo! You can follow her on Twitter @theAMANDAshowww or on Instagram @ammckelvey.