Silent Protest at the Oscars: Brie Larson Holds Applause for Casey Affleck’s Win Amidst Sexual Harassment Allegations

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Fairfield chapter.

On Sunday night at the 89th Academy Awards, Casey Affleck won Best Actor for his role in “Manchester by the Sea.” Brie Larson presented the award. Typically, presenters congratulate and applaud winners, but Larson held her applause for Affleck in a move meaningful to fans. Affleck is involved with two sexual-harassment suits, filed in 2010 during his work on the film “I’m Still Here” (here and here) that made it to headlines last fall. At last year’s Oscar’s ceremony, Larson took home Best Actress for her portrayal of a sexual abuse victim in the film “Room.” At the ceremony, Lady Gaga performed “Til It Happens to You” while sharing the stage with real-life sexual assault survivors. Brie Larson hugged each one of them, showing her support. Larson immersed herself in the role, spending a month working with psychologists to understand the trauma of sexual abuse survivors (Buzzfeed).

During the night’s ceremony, millions watched as Larson, a woman who has gone to great lengths to understand sexual abuse, presented an award to a man allegedly involved with the exact cause- for the second time. She presented him with Best Actor at this year’s Golden Globes with a similar reaction (Elle). Many on Twitter noticed her Oscar’s reaction and connected the two awards ceremonies. 

SaveSave

Originally from Boston, Caroline is a sophomore International Studies major and French minor at Fairfield University. She is a News Editor for Her Campus Fairfield as well as the Twitter Account Manager. When not hitting the books you can find her talking about cats and over posting on Instagram as @wiccancool.
Gabriella is currently a junior at Fairfield University, where she is majoring in Marketing and minoring in Communications. She is Co-Campus Correspondent of Her Campus Fairfield with her roomie/best friend Pamela Grant! Gab can most likely be found with a Venti Starbs in hand, while wearing obnoxiously large sunnies (no shame), reading the most recent issue of Glamour Mag.