She Came In Like a Wrecking Ball: America’s Love-Hate Relationship with Miley Cyrus

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Fairfield chapter.

Us collegiettes grew up with Miley Cyrus. We were in the early awkward stages of our teen years when she exploded as the glamorous yet also down to earth Hannah Montana. We learned about love and life when she helped bring Nicholas Spark’s novel The Last Song to the big screen, and her catchy pop songs became the soundtrack to our pre-teen years. Our Hannah Montana and middle school days are long gone, and as we grew up so did she.

21 year-old Miley has already conquered the music industry and has skyrocketed from an American sweetheart to an international pop culture and music sensation. Her questionable yet thought provoking and thoroughly entertaining antics attract a lot of negative attention. However, she is also still revered and looked up to by many. Love her or hate her… She’s just being Miley.

Our Miley Timeline:

Miley and Billy Ray were the cutest father-daughter duo in Hannah Montana. Robby Ray always had a bit of great fatherly advice (usually accompanied with some quirky anecdote) that melted every Disney-watchers heart. 

That father-daughter relationship got a little bit weird when 15 year old Miley and her dad suggestively posed for Annie Leibovitz in 2008.  Miley issued an apology after rumors spread about the Hannah Montana franchise being in danger. (yikes!)

photo courtesy of Vanityfair.com

Everything Miley did as she was growing up was scrutinized by the media, from her song lyrics, to her style, her hobbies, and of course her dance moves.

She, however, could not be tamed.

And all Miley could say was,

Forget the haters, right?

After meeting on the set of The Last Song, Miley and Liam Hemsworth became the cutest couple ever. Hearts melted everywhere when ‘Miam’ brought their on screen romance to life.

After the two broke up (sniff, sniff) Miley’s style really started to evolve. First she controversially cut off her beautiful hair.

Which she now plans on keeping short.

Her clothing choices became more… eclectic.

That is, when she is wearing a decent amount of clothes…

And then this happened…

Sweet Niblets!

Even though we were mostly shocked and disgusted, we couldn’t stop watching!

So forget the haters cause we love ya Miley!

Sources:http://images6.fanpop.com/image/photos/36700000/Miley-Cyrus-image-miley-…

Megan is a Fairfield University senior majoring in English and journalism from Long Island, New York. She is the Fashion Director and a devoted writer for Her Campus Fairfield as well as a part-time Editorial Web Intern at Cosmopolitan.com in New York City. Some of Megan's favorite things are the beach, Spotify playlists, Harry Potter and Instagram. Follow her on Twitter and Instagram! 
Danielle was previously the Deputy Editor at Her Campus, where she oversaw social and content strategy, lifestyle, beauty, fashion, news, and entertainment. Prior to joining Her Campus, Danielle worked at House Beautiful as Senior Lifestyle Editor, directing and producing feature videos and stories. Danielle also served as Snapchat Editor at Cosmopolitan, overseeing the brands daily Snapchat Discover channel. In 2016, she launched Cosmo Bites — which is now the official food and beverage vertical at Cosmopolitan. That same year, Danielle was named as a Rising Star in the digital media industry by FOLIO Magazine. Danielle got her start in digital media by launching the Her Campus chapter at Fairfield University in 2014, where she acted as Campus Correspondent for 2.5 years, before graduating with a degree in English and creative writing. She enjoys wine, food, and long walks through HomeGoods. Follow Danielle on Instagram!