The “See Now, Buy Now” Approach Changes the Fashion Week Game

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Fairfield chapter.

It is no longer sufficient to have a fashion week show accompanied by a few editorial-style shots that are worthy of an Instagram post-event. Nor is it enough to name a show successful due to the presence of A-listers and celebrities in the audience. Digital is forcing the runway to meet younger and more tech savvy buyers head-on. Just as SnapChat has made high-end, luxury brands more transparent, social platforms and the technologies integrating them is making NYFW increasingly accessible to the public eye. Last year we saw social platforms like Snapchat and Instagram changing the fashion week game, and bringing a more ephemeral and modern approach to the runway. Take Misha Nonoo’s Instagram show last year that featured her line exclusively on Instagram. Today, brands have taken to social media to promote their products and allow for buyers to shop immediately without the long wait.

Last February Christopher Bailey, CEO and Chief Creative Director of Burberry announced that this September’s show would be readily available for purchase directly after the show in an approach referred to as see now, buy now. While Burberry was the leader and so far the most successful user of this approach, many other designers such as Rebecca Minkoff, Tom Ford, Tommy Hilfiger, Michael Kors, Alexander Wang x Adidas, Club Monaco, Ralph Lauren, Opening Ceremony and Topshop have joined the movement.

The trend is intended to turn the excitement generated by a runway show audience (whether that be those at the event, watching live-stream somewhere else or following along on SnapChat live) into buyers. What designers are doing is offering instant gratification rather than waiting weeks or months after a show to sell products. Joshua Schulman, the president of Bergdorf Goodman and Neiman Marcus Group International explains, “the immediacy of being able to buy immediately after the show, combined with the impact of seeing the whole collection on the floor at once, gave our customers a sense of urgency to buy now.” Sales for many designers have boomed.

Some designers like Rebecca Minkoff have capitalized off of their fan base across social channels to invite shoppers into to her Soho Boutique on Saturday where social influencers with a combined 3.5 million followers strutter her collection, promoted the event and took pictures with fans. Most importantly, products were available directly after the show.

Other prime examples of the see now, buy now show are Tommy Hilfiger whose Gigi Hadid collaboration show put him on top of the list for most successful digital brand at NYFW. His show became an Instagram and SnapChat sensation, generating an upward increase from last year’s user engagement of 375 percent.

With social media becoming a larger and larger component in our day-to-day lives, it is interesting to see how designers and fashion influencers are adapting across media channels, and using platforms to spark engagement and sell products instantly. How will fashion continue to evolve as technologies become more advanced and users continue to seek more instant interaction with their favorite brands?

Josephine (Josie) Lekkas is a Junior at Fairfield University majoring in Business and Art History with a minor in PR and a passion for the French language and culture. She loves to write about Fashion, Current Events, Travel & Lifestyle. She is an avid digital media user and influencer with a passion for following the evolution of digital technology and it's many uses for business growth and strategy. On top of her double major course load, she works part-time in Manhattan at Group SJR, a digital marketing and advertising firm. Follow her on instagram @josie_lekkas!
Pamela is currently in her senior year at Fairfield Univerity where she is majoring in management. In her free time she enjoys working out, spending time with friends and family and binge watching reality television. *guilty*.... Follow her on instagram! @pamelagrant