Rent The Runway’s 5 Year Celebration

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Fairfield chapter.

The rental dress service we all know and love, Rent the Runway, has just released a line of 25 items in celebration of the store’s 5-year anniversary. The online website offers high-end couture available to rent at a fraction of the retail price.

In late 2013, Rent the Runway opened its first showroom in Henri Bendel on 712 5th Avenue in New York City. I visited this location earlier in the year, where there was a large selection of beautiful gowns, dresses, and jewelry as well as extremely welcoming and helpful employees. Since then Rent the Runway has moved its showroom to its first brick-and-mortar store in the Flatiron. The company has been growing its customer-base everyday with this expansion.

As a treat to its loyal customers and to celebrate the company’s ongoing success, the 5-year collection, known as 5Y, consists of exquisite jewelry and clothing by designers such as Badgley Mischka, Christian Siriano, Kenneth Jay Lane, Marchesa Voyage, Monique Lhuillier, Lela Rose, and Oscar de la Renta. There are about 3 items per designer in the collection, with pieces ranging from elegant gowns, to sequin tops and statement jewelry. The 5Y collection has an edgier style than the site’s usual, classic look.

In an interview with WWD, CEO Jennifer Hyman stated, “The intention is to enable women to get out of their fashion comfort zone and try new brands and experiment with styles that push them. You shouldn’t be renting the little black dress. We want them all to be statement pieces” (Fashion Times).

These 25 spectacular items have been available for rent since Monday, November 3, 2014. Rent the Runway is a dream come true for collegiettes, as the store offers high-end, fashionable clothing at very reasonable prices, the perfect combination. The pieces from 5Y are ideal for the holidays, so make sure to go to www.renttherunway.com to check out the amazing pieces in the newly launched collection.

Amanda McKelvey is a Co-Campus Correspondent and a senior at Fairfield University. She is a Journalism major with minors in Psychology and Communications. In addition to being a CC she has held internships with Michael Kors, CollegeFashionista.com and the Rockville Centre and Baldwin Heralds. In her free time, Amanda enjoys days on the beaches of Long Island, watching Scandal, Chicago Fire and the Bachelorette, eating anything sweet (chocolate, ice cream, cupcakes—you name it!) and reading a good book. She’s excited to spend her senior year living at Fairfield Beach with her best friends including fellow CC Danielle Tullo! You can follow her on Twitter @theAMANDAshowww or on Instagram @ammckelvey.