Relationships: How To Move On When You Go To Such A Small School

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Fairfield chapter.

Going through any type of break up is hard. Whether it be someone you were hooking up with, talking to, or have been dating for an extended period of time, it sucks. Everyone grieves a relationship in many different ways. However, it can be really hard when you go to a university that is on the smaller side because there are more chances you’ll cross paths than at a bigger school.

Even though it could be more difficult, there are ways that you can get away and not fall back down that rabbit hole. With that said, here are seven ways to try moving on when you go to such a small school:

1. Take time to yourself

Honestly, one of the best things you can do when you’re just going through a break up is to take time for yourself.  Take a mental health day, book a massage, go to the beach, or go do something that you absolutely love. It is a chance to take a break and to put yourself in a good mood. With this, it will also give you a chance and some time to get in touch with how you are really feeling about the whole situation, what you really need, and to take a step back to not get caught up in all the craziness.

2. Venting Sessions

When you are ready, opening up to your besties or your mom could really help get everything that has been on your chest and running through your mind on a loop out there. It will relieve some anxiousness, and no one is going to judge you for expressing everything that you are going through and feeling. But, if you are not comfortable disclosing to anyone or are just not ready, get a journal and get all your thoughts and emotions down. It is a chance to feel lighter and get all of your thoughts together.  Trust me, it works!

3. Keep yourself preoccupied

Because it is such a small school and who knows if you’ll run into *he who must not be named*, keeping yourself preoccupied can really distance yourself from things that are happening on campus. Go out there and do something that you have wanted to do for a while but always have found an excuse not to. Grab your bestie and go on a short road trip to New Haven to get the legendary Frank Pepe’s pizza. Going on fun excursions as well as keeping yourself busy will allow for a degree of separation.

4. Make a dope a** playlist

Music can always help, especially in a breakup. Your favorite artists are the ones that can put everything that you could possibly be feeling inside into words that will speak to your soul. Make a dope a** playlist that will keep you on the move and could change your perspective on things

5. Take a break from social media

Being in close quarters to an ex can be really hard, but seeing all of their social media and recognizing everything that they are posting can be even worse. Take a social media cleanse for a hot sec – it will leave you less anxious, keep you from worrying and assuming scenarios, as well as focusing on being in the moment with the people that matter most to you.

6. Revenge Body

Khloe Kardashian may or may not be on to something. Regardless, working out and focusing on your own health will make you feel so much better but also let everyone around you know that you are going to be just fine. You will be strutting all around campus with more confidence than before and even if you do run into your ex, he sure will be doing a double take.

7. You do you, girl!

There can be many things going on in your life and this break up is just a minor one. Being on campus and having the possibility of running into your ex or having mutual friends can make it that much more difficult. Just know that you should just do you, girl. Go treat yo’ self. There is nothing better than self-love and trust me, everything else will fall into place.

Adriana is currently a second semester senior at Fairfield University. She is majoring in Communication and English with a concentration in creative writing as well as a double minor in marketing and women, gender and sexuality studies.              
Alexis DiZenzo is a motivated Connecticut native. She attends Fairfield University where she is majoring in digital journalism and minoring in marketing. She is currently co-campus corespondent of Fairfield's Her Campus chapter. Along with managing Her Campus Fairfield, Alexis has interned with The Secured Lender Magazine, and NBC Sports. She is a contributing writer for Elite Daily as well as Thought Catalog. In the early stages of her college career, Alexis has taken the initiative to reach far among the stars and achieve goals early on. She has a great sense of editing, writing, publishing, marketing and leadership as well as strong interpersonal skills. (And a fun-loving, outgoing personality!) Alexis' favorite book (and movie) is The Great Gatsby, she lives by the words of Carrie Bradshaw and you could definitely find her on a beach, soaking up the sun. Instagram @alexisdizenzo www.alexisfdizenzo.com