Rebel Wilson Makes a Statement About Body Image at the MTV Movie Awards

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Fairfield chapter.

As collegiettes, we love award shows and popular forms of TV entertainment. From the Grammys and the VMA’s, to the Victoria’s Secret Fashion Show and MTV Movie Awards, there’s something about watching our favorite actors, actresses and performers live on stage. Seeing them on stage speaking and receiving awards makes these men and women in the spotlight seemingly more relatable. As we watch them joke around with each other, get excited over their thank you speeches, and recover from outfit malfunctions, we just can’t get enough.

Since many of the stars go into the award shows knowing that what happens on stage, good or bad, will be talked about the next day or duration of the week, many are taking the opportunity to spread different messages. Rebel Wilson, most famously known as ‘Fat Amy’ from Pitch Perfect, proved this at the 2015 MTV Movie Awards over this past weekend. 

Wearing black leather leggings with the words ‘THINK’ on the butt – to mimic that of Victoria’s Secret PINK pants – as well as white angel wings and a bedazzled bra, Wilson was making a firm statement about body image to all viewers.

According to People magazine,  Wilson explained her outfit backstage saying that she believes the message portrayed through the ‘Bella’ girls of Pitch Perfect that should be spread to reality.

Wilson stated: “The ‘Bella’ girls are all different shape and sizes and nationalities. I think one of the good messages in the movie is that you’re all beautiful. I think sometimes girls look at Victoria’s Secret models and think that they have to model themselves after that, but I really don’t think that’s the best, even though they are called ‘models,’ they’re not the best people to model yourself after. I like to encourage girls to think, which is why I put that on my butt. It’s really about what’s up here [points to head], and not what’s here [points to backside].”

Wilson uses the Victoria’s Secret Angels as a comparison knowing that this popular brand resemblance would send the message out to a wide range of viewers. By doing so, she highlighted the bottom line of her message that we can’t let pop culture, social media, and other people’s perceptions of beauty rule our self worth. Admiration of other people’s physiques is one thing, but that does not mean that you have to constantly compare and contrast what they have to what you don’t.

In reality, we know that this is hard to do in a society that puts such an extreme emphasis on a woman’s body image. Wilson makes a point to remind people of the classic line we have all heard from our moms at one point in time – that beauty is on the inside and not the outside. This is a clear message that we collegiettes support and aim to share with others. 

Camille Giacovas is a sophomore at Fairfield University with an International Studies major and an English minor with a concentration in Professional Writing.  She dreams of traveling the world and she strongly believes in the power of living a positive life. She is a lover of hot yoga, running and finding the little things in life that bring her joy. Her mornings would not be complete without a chai tea latte. 
Amanda McKelvey is a Co-Campus Correspondent and a senior at Fairfield University. She is a Journalism major with minors in Psychology and Communications. In addition to being a CC she has held internships with Michael Kors, CollegeFashionista.com and the Rockville Centre and Baldwin Heralds. In her free time, Amanda enjoys days on the beaches of Long Island, watching Scandal, Chicago Fire and the Bachelorette, eating anything sweet (chocolate, ice cream, cupcakes—you name it!) and reading a good book. She’s excited to spend her senior year living at Fairfield Beach with her best friends including fellow CC Danielle Tullo! You can follow her on Twitter @theAMANDAshowww or on Instagram @ammckelvey.