This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Fairfield chapter.

Ladies, we didn’t think there would be a day that our favorite second-hand clothing app Poshmark would make it to number two on our list, but then The RealReal started picking up publicity. The RealReal opened in 2011 but did not make a mark in the fashion news up until recently. The company, spearheaded by CEO Julie Wainwright, prides itself on providing authentic luxury from a large market of consignors across the United States. According to The RealReal’s website, authenticity is everything to the company’s mission and, not to forget, so is sustainability. 

The RealReal has gained much of its recent publicity from big names such as the Wall Street Journal and Forbes on issues regarding its authentication process as numerous customers have been sent faux luxury items. In response, CEO Wainwright has reported that the company is making more efforts than any other to keep each luxury item authentic.   

Being a consignor with The RealReal is a simple three-step process that ensures authenticity for customers in addition to reasonable payment for the sellers. Consignors can deliver their items to The RealReal through in-home pickups, delivery, or through visiting one of the two RealReal city store locations (NYC or LA). The team at the RealReal takes care of the rest – from authenticating the product to photographing and selling it on their online marketplace. After the product is sold, the consignor earns 85% of the profit from the item.  

From Burberry to Versace, The RealReal features second-hand items that practically appear brand new from hundreds of luxury brands. Are you looking to splurge on that Gucci belt to spice up your wardrobe or indulge in purchasing a nice Christmas gift this year? The RealReal might just be your answer. The RealReal has a Gucci belt (originally $470 on Gucci.com) listed for $325. That is about 30% off the original price. It sure seems worth the style ~steal~! With new efforts to ensure authentication, finding a deal of this site appears like the perfect opportunity.      

To get started on your next luxury splurge, download The RealReal app or better yet, hop on the train to NYC before the holidays to get some shopping in and visit one of The RealReal stores at 80 Wooster Street or 870 Madison Ave! 

Happy Shopping! HCXO.

Olivia Mahoney

Fairfield '23

Olivia is from Massachusetts and a marketing and management major at Fairfield University. She is the Relationship & Dating Editor for Fairfield's Her Campus chapter and also participates as a Writer.
I am a Junior Marketing Major with a concentration in digital and social media marketing and a Finance minor at Fairfield University. I am a creative, driven, and hardworking individual who loves fashion and beauty.