This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Fairfield chapter.

A new Disney heroine has come to unify us as dark forces like COVID-19 and the proper pronunciation of Reese’s Pieces continues to tear us apart. The new action-packed and beautifully animated international trailer for Disney’s upcoming film Raya and the Last Dragon released during the Super Bowl last Sunday. 

Raya and the Last Dragon tells the story of Kumandra, a land where dragons and humans used to live together in peace. After evil monsters called the Druun attempted to destroy the land, the dragons sacrificed themselves to protect the humans. 500 years later, Raya must join forces with the last surviving dragon to defeat the Druun, who has returned. 

Kelly Marie Tran, who also wonderfully portrayed Rose Tico in the Star Wars film installments The Last Jedi and The Rise of Skywalker, will be voicing Raya. The last dragon, Sisu, is voiced by Golden Globe winning actress and comedian Awkwafina, interestingly known for her 2012 song “My Vag.”

The casting of the film sparked some controversy in January of this year due to lack of Southeast Asian representation. Though the film embraces Southeastern imagery and culture, as well as features a cast of Asian actors, some believe the voice actors should call the region home. 

Raya’s adventure looks incredibly exciting as a new addition to Disney’s growing world of strong women. Releasing in theaters and on Disney + Premier Access on March 5th, we cannot wait to go on a journey with Raya, Sisu, and a seemingly giant armadillo named Tuk Tuk. 

Jackie Campbell

Fairfield '24

Jackie is an English major with an Educational Studies minor at Fairfield University. Though originally from Kansas City, MO, Jackie currently calls Pound Ridge, NY home. Some interests include riding bikes, writing, and exploring new media with her little sister.
I am a Junior Marketing Major with a concentration in digital and social media marketing and a Finance minor at Fairfield University. I am a creative, driven, and hardworking individual who loves fashion and beauty.