Culture > News

Praying For Paris: Fire at Notre Dame Cathedral

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Fairfield chapter.

On the evening of Monday, April 15th, a massive fire broke out in the beautiful Notre Dame Cathedral located in Paris. The fire was found too late after the alarms sounded and could not be fully extinguished until the following morning. The building began construction in the year 1163 and took until 1345 to fully complete. It was the most famous Gothic cathedral built in the Middle Ages. It was also one of the most visited landmarks in the world.

The building was under renovations due to its old age, and this is the suspected source of the fire. The famous 295-foot tall spire, oak frame, and lead roof were destroyed in the damage, however, the firefighters were able to save the towers, facade, and stained glass windows. The Crown of Thorns and a tunic worn by Saint Louis are a few of the artifacts that were saved.

Over 500 firefighters responded to the scene and saved the church from complete damage and a possible collapse. Generous donors have been raising funds for the rebuilding of the church, and the restoration is expected to take about 5 years to complete. Firefighters said the cathedral was just a few minutes away from complete destruction. Thankfully, no one was seriously injured during this time.

We send our love and prayers to France and to everyone who was impacted by the fire.

Lauren is a Connecticut native currently majoring in Marketing and Public Relations at Fairfield University. Her interests include spending time with friends, going to the gym, cooking, baking, and pumpkin spice everything! When she is not writing for Her Campus, she is probably spending time with her two dogs Lily & Daisy!
Alexis DiZenzo is a motivated Connecticut native. She attends Fairfield University where she is majoring in digital journalism and minoring in marketing. She is currently co-campus corespondent of Fairfield's Her Campus chapter. Along with managing Her Campus Fairfield, Alexis has interned with The Secured Lender Magazine, and NBC Sports. She is a contributing writer for Elite Daily as well as Thought Catalog. In the early stages of her college career, Alexis has taken the initiative to reach far among the stars and achieve goals early on. She has a great sense of editing, writing, publishing, marketing and leadership as well as strong interpersonal skills. (And a fun-loving, outgoing personality!) Alexis' favorite book (and movie) is The Great Gatsby, she lives by the words of Carrie Bradshaw and you could definitely find her on a beach, soaking up the sun. Instagram @alexisdizenzo www.alexisfdizenzo.com