Plot Twist: Kim Kardashian Might Have a Personality

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Fairfield chapter.

Although Kim Kardashian’s rear end is usually the highlight of topic when it comes to 34-year-old E! Reality TV star, it’s safe to say that since her controversial and (slightly comedic?) Superbowl ad, the subject has been swayed.

The ad itself has a whopping 13,000,000 hits on Youtube since last week alone.  This highly anticipated commercial sported Kim K for T-Mobile, striking sultry, moody looks into the camera, which was nothing out of the usual. *big sigh*

But what was even more striking about this commercial was her sarcastic nature, totally playing off of her own stereotypes and common Instagram selfie posting habits.

Kim K went on to mock herself throughout the entire T-Mobile advertisement, at first starting with the semi ~*somber*~ fact that many unused data is lost and taken back by said cell phone companies at the end of the month.

I thought it was pretty bold of her at first for openly making fun of herself…but then I realized that she really has nothing to lose.  This woman made a hearty 28 million buckaroos as of June 2014 [via Forbes]. Meanwhile I’m chillin’ at minimum wage and I make fun of myself for free (ALMOST regrettably) – but you know I’d definitely make fun of myself for that type of money too, so I gotta say, Go Kim K! 

I may not agree with the hype around the Kardashian family and how fame even seemed to reach this woman, but I have give it to her for putting herself out there in a way she has never before. You hit it first this time around, girlfriend. 

Here’s the actual ad of Kim blatantly making fun of herself:

And here’s a little #tbt of Kim not so blatantly making fun of herself circa 2012:

My, look how far we’ve come.

Danielle was previously the Deputy Editor at Her Campus, where she oversaw social and content strategy, lifestyle, beauty, fashion, news, and entertainment. Prior to joining Her Campus, Danielle worked at House Beautiful as Senior Lifestyle Editor, directing and producing feature videos and stories. Danielle also served as Snapchat Editor at Cosmopolitan, overseeing the brands daily Snapchat Discover channel. In 2016, she launched Cosmo Bites — which is now the official food and beverage vertical at Cosmopolitan. That same year, Danielle was named as a Rising Star in the digital media industry by FOLIO Magazine. Danielle got her start in digital media by launching the Her Campus chapter at Fairfield University in 2014, where she acted as Campus Correspondent for 2.5 years, before graduating with a degree in English and creative writing. She enjoys wine, food, and long walks through HomeGoods. Follow Danielle on Instagram!