This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Fairfield chapter.

Fall is the perfect opportunity to play with trends and experiment with colors. Plum is one of the classic lip colors season after season. Recently, celebrity style icon Shay Mitchell rocked this color on her lips at a red carpet event.  This glam look is easily creatable for us ladies on a college budget too. Follow these tips to achieve the perfect bold lip with ease!

Tip #1: Moisturized and smooth lips are a must for this statement look. Prep your lips with an easy do it yourself sugar lip scrub. Mix one part olive oil and two parts sugar together and exfoliate, exfoliate, exfoliate! Follow up with a lip balm and let your lippies absorb the balm before you move on to the next step!

Tip #2: Lip liner is an essential step. Feathering lipstick, especially in this bold color, is the opposite of cute. A perfect plum colored lip liner is the Prune shade of the NYX Slim Lip Pencil. After the lip balm has absorbed into the lips, outline the lips with the liner. Do not line outside the natural lip line. Work with what you got ladies!

Tip #3: Finding the perfect lipstick shade does not have to come with a steep price tag attached to it. A great, but affordable option is Revlon Super Lustrous Lipstick in Plum Velour.

Tip #4: A good rule of thumb when it comes to makeup is to make one statement at a time. In this case, let your bold lips be the statement! Keep your eyes neutral with matte eyes shadows. Applying a matte taupe shade with a blending brush in the crease of the eye will create just enough definition without overdoing it. Try the Naked Basics palette by Urban Decay. Finish off the eyes with natural looking winged eyeliner and mascara.

Tip #5: To finish off, warm up the face with some matte bronzer, focusing on apples of the cheeks and forehead. An inexpensive and amazing drugstore option is N.Y.C.  Smooth Skin Bronzing Face Powder in the shade Sunny. Any powder brush will work to apply it with!

Girls, you have now completed the perfect fall look. Now go out and rock this statement on campus with your comfy knit sweaters, riding boots, and pumpkin spice lattes. It will most definitely be a head turner!

Products:

Lipstick: Revlon Super Lustrous Lipstick in Plum Velour for a lighter shade of plum.

(For a darker plum try Revlon Super Lustrous-Creme Lipstick in the shade Va Va Violet They are both priced at $7.99.)

Lip liner: NYX Slim Lip Pencil in the shade Prune, priced at $3.50

Eye Shadow: Naked Basics Eye Shadow Palette, priced at $29.00

Bronzer: N.Y.C. Smooth Skin Bronzing Face Powder in the shade Sunny, priced at $2.79

Katherine is a sophomore at Fairfield University currently studying Public Relations with a minor in Marketing. She works behind the scenes as Executive Style Editor for Her Campus Fairfield. New York City is her dream, where she plans to pursue and thrive in the world of the arts. She has a talent for creating visually stunning productions that encompass several inspirational mediums including makeup, fashion styling, and interior design. She loves to combine her passion for creation with her strong skill of organization.  In her free time she loves catching up on the latest pinterest activity, watching too many episodes of Lost, or indulging in one of her favorite activities: shopping! This girl is a huge advocate for girl power, inner beauty, and confidence!
Amanda McKelvey is a Co-Campus Correspondent and a senior at Fairfield University. She is a Journalism major with minors in Psychology and Communications. In addition to being a CC she has held internships with Michael Kors, CollegeFashionista.com and the Rockville Centre and Baldwin Heralds. In her free time, Amanda enjoys days on the beaches of Long Island, watching Scandal, Chicago Fire and the Bachelorette, eating anything sweet (chocolate, ice cream, cupcakes—you name it!) and reading a good book. She’s excited to spend her senior year living at Fairfield Beach with her best friends including fellow CC Danielle Tullo! You can follow her on Twitter @theAMANDAshowww or on Instagram @ammckelvey.