This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Fairfield chapter.

This past Sunday, the 88th Academy Awards aired in Los Angeles, recognizing exceptional talent on screen and behind the scenes. Oscar viewers got a taste of comedy thanks to host Chris Rock. He brought humor to the show by helping his daughter’s Girl Scout troupe sell $65,243 worth of cookies (in case you were wondering, Kate Winslet nabbed a box of Tagalongs, and Christian Bale was spotted munching on Thin Mints).

Some viewers were shocked when Sylvester Stallone didn’t get the Oscar for his role in Creed, but out hearts did go on when Leonardo DiCaprio finally won an Oscar, taking home the granddaddy of them all, Best Actor. Twenty years in the making Leo but we never gave up hope! Overall it was a great night for cinema. Congratulations to all nominees and special congratulations to the night’s winners. Here is a full list of the night’s winners:

Best Writing (Original Screenplay)

Spotlight: written by Josh Singer and Tom McCarthy

Best Writing (Adapted Screenplay)

The Big Short: screenplay by Charles Randolph and Adam McKay

Best Visual Effects

Ex Machina, Andrew Whitehurst, Paul Norris, Mark Ardinton, and Sara Bennett

Best Sound Mixing

Mad Max: Fury Road: Chris Jenkins, Gregg Rudloff, and Ben Osmo

Best Sound Editing

Mad Max: Fury Road: Mark Mangini and David White

Best Short Film (Live Action)

Stutterer, Benjamin Cleary and Serena Armitage.

Best Short Film (Animated)

Bear Story: Gabriel Osorio and Pato Escala

Best Production Design

Colin Gibson (Production Design); Lisa Thompson (Set Decoration)

Best Music (Original Song)

“Writing’s On The Wall” from Spectre, Music and Lyric by Jimmy Napes and Samth Smith

Music (Original Score)

The Hateful Eight: Ennio Morricone

Makeup and Hairstyling

Mad Max: Fury Road: Lesley Vanderwalt, Elka Wardega and Damian Martin

Foreign Language Film

Son of Soul: Hungary; Directed by Laszlo Nemes

Film Editing

Mad Max: Fury Road: Margaret Sixel

Documentary (Short Subject)

A Girl in the River: The Price of Forgiveness: Sharmeen Obaid-Chinoy

Documentary (Feature)

Amy, Asif Kapadia and James Gay-Rees

Best Directing

The Revenant: Alejandro G. Inarritu

Costume Design

Mad Max: Fury Road: Jenny Beavan

Best Cinematography

The Revenant: Emmanuel Lubezki

Best Animated Feature Film

Inside Out: Peter Docter and Jonas Rivera

Best Actress in Supporting Role

Alicia Vikander: The Danish Girl

Actor in Supporting Role

Mark Rylance: Bridge of Spies

Best Actress in a Leading Role

Brie Larson: Room

Actor in a Leading Role

Leonardo DiCaprio: The Revenant

Best Picture

Spotlight: Michael Sugar, Steve Golin, Nicole Rocklin, and Byle Pagon Fust

Hi my name is Alejandra Arias and I am the Executive Feature Editor for Her Campus Fairfield
Pamela is currently in her senior year at Fairfield Univerity where she is majoring in management. In her free time she enjoys working out, spending time with friends and family and binge watching reality television. *guilty*.... Follow her on instagram! @pamelagrant