An Open Letter to the Victims of the Florida Shooting

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Fairfield chapter.

To the victims and the survivors,

Words. Words cannot begin to explain the sorrow this nation feels after this tragic event. Words cannot begin to explain the heartbreak that friends and families are feeling. Words cannot begin to explain the fear every student now lives in.

I am sorry. We, as a nation, are sorry.

Sorry. Sorry that we could not protect you the way you deserved. Sorry that we did not take action after the last 17 mass shootings. Sorry that our thoughts and prayers were not enough to save the 17 victims. Sorry that survivors now fear going to school every day, unsure of how safe they are.

While we hope the sympathy from the nation does not go unnoticed, we are aware that it does nothing to solve the problem of the gun control in this country.

We must act if we want to protect the children of this country. It is time to take our thoughts and prayers and turn them into a voice. People across the nation are coming together to honor you all. We are taking to social media, spreading awareness of this tragedy, and making our voices heard –  by the president, by representatives, by celebrities, and by anyone that will listen.

What we must do, to honor all those forgotten and all those traumatized, is change. The problem at hand is gun control. We must cut ties with the NRA, as well as with politicians and leaders who care more about personal gain than the safety of this nation. Guns are not the answer; they are not protecting us.

We must change, because if not now, then when? If we don’t start acting now, then there will be another Parkland Florida, another Nikolas Cruz. If we are not satisfied with the actions of our leaders, we need to step up.

We will NOT let you be forgotten. You are not another statistic. You are not another memory.

You are a reason for change. A reason for action. A reason to become a better country.

Alexis DiZenzo is a motivated Connecticut native. She attends Fairfield University where she is majoring in digital journalism and minoring in marketing. She is currently co-campus corespondent of Fairfield's Her Campus chapter. Along with managing Her Campus Fairfield, Alexis has interned with The Secured Lender Magazine, and NBC Sports. She is a contributing writer for Elite Daily as well as Thought Catalog. In the early stages of her college career, Alexis has taken the initiative to reach far among the stars and achieve goals early on. She has a great sense of editing, writing, publishing, marketing and leadership as well as strong interpersonal skills. (And a fun-loving, outgoing personality!) Alexis' favorite book (and movie) is The Great Gatsby, she lives by the words of Carrie Bradshaw and you could definitely find her on a beach, soaking up the sun. Instagram @alexisdizenzo www.alexisfdizenzo.com