NYFW Trend Report: Spring 2015

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Fairfield chapter.

As we start to see fall trends come to life, we are already looking forward to what will be hitting the stores in the spring of 2015. This September at New York Fashion Week, designers featured a wide array of bold prints, fun silhouettes, and pieces with ‘70s vibes.

This runway season, patterns played a big role, and, no, I’m not talking about any groundbreaking floral prints. A picnic table pattern designers are calling “gingham” was seen at Diane Von Furstenberg’s show. The pattern was also seen in many other designers’ shows. Gingham is a fun way to incorporate pattern into your wardrobe, but it’s subdued enough for everyday wear.

If you thought the military trend was on its way out, Marc Jacobs proved you wrong. Jacobs’ show featured a number of military coats with muted, sophisticated colors. Ralph Lauren also featured military style blouses with more feminine silhouettes, including the parka jacket that will be seen throughout 2015.

Shirt dresses and longer tunics had a strong presence in many shows. The denim fabrics featured had a strong ‘70s influence. Jill Stuart, the famous women’s wear designer, featured these ‘70s style trends, as well as high waisted, flaired pants.

We see many past trends transitioning into spring of 2015, including the separates trend, with a matching top and bottom. The classic button down that you probably have in your closet already was prominent on the runway this season as well.

This years New York Fashion Week was a huge success. Designers featured innovative designs and combined these designs with classic elements. The designers all had cohesive, yet unique shows. 

Megan is a Fairfield University freshman majoring in international business.  She has a love for all things fashion. Born on Long Island, but a NYC wannabe. 
Amanda McKelvey is a Co-Campus Correspondent and a senior at Fairfield University. She is a Journalism major with minors in Psychology and Communications. In addition to being a CC she has held internships with Michael Kors, CollegeFashionista.com and the Rockville Centre and Baldwin Heralds. In her free time, Amanda enjoys days on the beaches of Long Island, watching Scandal, Chicago Fire and the Bachelorette, eating anything sweet (chocolate, ice cream, cupcakes—you name it!) and reading a good book. She’s excited to spend her senior year living at Fairfield Beach with her best friends including fellow CC Danielle Tullo! You can follow her on Twitter @theAMANDAshowww or on Instagram @ammckelvey.