North West Stole the Spotlight at New York Fashion Week

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Fairfield chapter.

What would be worse than a model falling down the runway during New York Fashion Week? Probably baby throwing a tantrum in the front row. Yes, that is what happened not once but twice this past week at Mercedes-Benz fashion week. North West, the baby of Kim Kardashian and Kanye West, wanted to let everyone know that she was not only frustrated with the long wait, but also wanted to make sure all eyes where on her during the show. Like mother like daughter, perhaps?

The screams by the 19-month-old first started at her father’s Yeezus for Adidas show as she sat next to Vogue’s editor Anna Wintour and singer Beyoncé.  North clearly did not care who was next to her as she stole the attention. Miss Wintour on the other hand did not seem too thrilled to be sitting next to baby North. Anna sat front row wearing her signature sunglasses and serious facial expressions. Come on, Anna, smile, it is not North’s fault she is just an adorable baby being forced to sit through this event!

Kim quickly handed her daughter off to a nanny who went back stage with the toddler, while Kim supported her husband and posed for the cameras. But North made sure to throw yet another tantrum at the Alexander Wang show a few days later, as she awaited for her Aunt Kendall to strut down the runway.

Was Kim wrong for taking her daughter to these highly exclusive events? Yes and no. There is a time and place for everything, and fashion week is not the place to take a 19-month-old. It is very common for designers to have their children support their parents latest collections, but at an appropriate age. Yes, Nori was there to support her father, but will she truly remember this moment? No. Celebrities like Gwen Stefani and Victoria Beckham love to invite their kid’s front row, but their kids are at the appropriate age and sorry Kim, but North is not at that age yet. Mr. West might not have cared that North was crying in the audience, but maybe Mr. Wang did.

In my opinion, it was very inappropriate to have baby Nori at a professional event. Kim, she is not an accessory and she is not your latest pair of Louboutin’s that can stay out in the city with you all night. If Kim titles her career as a “fashion expert” than why is she bringing her child to work with her? Yes, North is very adorable and who would not want to photograph her all night, but she should have stayed home with a babysitter and went to bed at an appropriate hour.

Although it is awesome that North has worn more designer in her short life than most of us ever will wear, she should be treated her own age. Unlike Kim, many celebrities know where and when to bring their kids out for NYFW. Nicole “Snooki” Polizzi brought her two-year-old son Lorenzo front row to Nike Levi’s kids runway show – but that was a collection for kids and not adults.

So Kim next time you bring North out make sure it is for a stroll in the park and not strut down the runway. 

Hi Loves! My names Audriana currently studying Marketing and Journalism at Fairfield University. I'm a Philly girl with a bubbly personality. I love anything Pink! Style icons: Blair Waldorf and Serena Van der Woodsen.  New York City, Iced Tea and Gossip Girl addict. Fell in love with London and traveling while abroad my fall junior semester. Follow my beauty/fashion blog www.beyondyourblowout.com and on instagram  @audrossano
Danielle was previously the Deputy Editor at Her Campus, where she oversaw social and content strategy, lifestyle, beauty, fashion, news, and entertainment. Prior to joining Her Campus, Danielle worked at House Beautiful as Senior Lifestyle Editor, directing and producing feature videos and stories. Danielle also served as Snapchat Editor at Cosmopolitan, overseeing the brands daily Snapchat Discover channel. In 2016, she launched Cosmo Bites — which is now the official food and beverage vertical at Cosmopolitan. That same year, Danielle was named as a Rising Star in the digital media industry by FOLIO Magazine. Danielle got her start in digital media by launching the Her Campus chapter at Fairfield University in 2014, where she acted as Campus Correspondent for 2.5 years, before graduating with a degree in English and creative writing. She enjoys wine, food, and long walks through HomeGoods. Follow Danielle on Instagram!