Mr. Grey Will See You Now … Finally

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Fairfield chapter.

Yes, I read Fifty Shades of Grey in way less than fifty hours. Yes, you can imagine how excited I am to see the movie.

The disappointment was real when Charlie Hunnam turned down the role of Mr. Grey, but after stalking Jamie Dornan on Google, things started looking up. Months later, when the trailer was released, my heart actually stopped. Now, days before the film hits theatres, one thing is still on our minds: will it be worth the hype?

The 50 Shades Phenomenon started in 2012 with the publication of the novel by E.L. James.  The book itself made us breathless and had us feeling every type of way. We were confused, heartbroken, and terrified, but ultimately, we were obsessed. 

Although banned by the Malaysian Film Censorship Board for being “more pornography than a movie,” those of us who read the book know it truly is much more than just the red room of pain. 

The relationship between Ana and Christian is very complicated and certainly very heart-wrenching, so it will be interesting to see how it is portrayed in film by Jamie Dornan and Dakota Johnson.  There is no limit to the amount of chemistry needed between the two, and based on the trailer and some leaked scenes, it is clear that Jamie and Dakota aren’t holding anything back.  

So, if you were an avid fan of the 50 Shades novel, I have no doubts that you will enjoy the movie just as much.  With a very fitting cast and a captivating storyline, the movie should be worth all of its hype.  So, grab your BFF’s and head to your favorite theater this weekend because the wait is over.

Laters, baby.

Follow Lauren on Twitter!

Lauren is a sophomore studying Computer Engineering at Fairfield University.  A proud Bostonian, she has a heavy reliance on iced coffee and says "wicked" far too often.Follow Lauren on Twitter!
Danielle was previously the Deputy Editor at Her Campus, where she oversaw social and content strategy, lifestyle, beauty, fashion, news, and entertainment. Prior to joining Her Campus, Danielle worked at House Beautiful as Senior Lifestyle Editor, directing and producing feature videos and stories. Danielle also served as Snapchat Editor at Cosmopolitan, overseeing the brands daily Snapchat Discover channel. In 2016, she launched Cosmo Bites — which is now the official food and beverage vertical at Cosmopolitan. That same year, Danielle was named as a Rising Star in the digital media industry by FOLIO Magazine. Danielle got her start in digital media by launching the Her Campus chapter at Fairfield University in 2014, where she acted as Campus Correspondent for 2.5 years, before graduating with a degree in English and creative writing. She enjoys wine, food, and long walks through HomeGoods. Follow Danielle on Instagram!