jakob owens SaO8RBYC0bs unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
jakob owens SaO8RBYC0bs unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Motivational Monday

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Fairfield chapter.

Be weird, Be random, Be who you are because you never know who would love the person you hide.”

Everyone can be normal. But then again, is there even a universal definition for this word? I will admit, there is a very good chance the things that I choose to share in conversation can definitely be surprising or unexpected. However, I have learned what other’s may consider weird, is just me being ME.

College is an opportunity for young adults to begin an exciting new chapter of their lives. This experience can also make us feel anxious, stressed and nervous about making new friends who will hopefully be accepting of who we are. For us girls, it can be even more stressful. Worrying if we have the cutest outfits on weekends or hesitating to participate in class because the entire lacrosse team sits behind are both factors that can hold us back. But here’s some advice: As a college junior, I wouldn’t change my past behavior for anything. I can honestly say that being courageous enough to just be me was one of my best decisions throughout my college career. Expressing my quirky remarks and acting in my energetic manner enabled me to find those individuals who liked me for who I was. They embraced my independence and have truly become best friends that I will have for the rest of my life.

As scary as it may seem to say how you feel or act how you want in the moment, you will thank yourself in the future. These chances allow you to share a special quality about yourself. They allow you to make connections with others and establish a comfort level in your environment. If you hold back from sharing your true self, you could miss opportunities that might lead to meaningful friendships. Your best friends are those who embrace the weird in you, the random in you, and love the person you are. There is no reason to conceal our true identities. You never know who would love the person you hide.

Catie is a business student studying both Finance and Management at Fairfield University. She is an outgoing & energetic Jersey girl who tries to have a positive attitude and bring out the fun in any situation. Catie loves sports, beach days and is very passionate about baking. Follow her on Instagram @catiedolan & Twitter @cdolann ! 
Amanda McKelvey is a Co-Campus Correspondent and a senior at Fairfield University. She is a Journalism major with minors in Psychology and Communications. In addition to being a CC she has held internships with Michael Kors, CollegeFashionista.com and the Rockville Centre and Baldwin Heralds. In her free time, Amanda enjoys days on the beaches of Long Island, watching Scandal, Chicago Fire and the Bachelorette, eating anything sweet (chocolate, ice cream, cupcakes—you name it!) and reading a good book. She’s excited to spend her senior year living at Fairfield Beach with her best friends including fellow CC Danielle Tullo! You can follow her on Twitter @theAMANDAshowww or on Instagram @ammckelvey.