Meet Talented Canvas Decorator, Lexy Carey ‘18

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Fairfield chapter.

There’s nothing better than a cozy and cute dorm room, which is why Lexy Carey started decorating canvas boards for friends and family. Lexy encorporates monograms and fun designs into her paintings, and hopes to spread the word in order to turn her passion into a small campus “business”. Keep reading to get the inside scoop on Lexy’s work and some of her favorite pieces! 

Her Campus: So, what exactly do you do?LC: I always have ten blank canvases in my room because people always randomly ask me to paint them something. I have a bunch of paint in my room also, so whenever somebody asks I can start right away.

HC: How did it get started?LC: I’ve always wanted to make them and finally this summer when I decided I should start. So, I ordered all the stuff and I started painting. I always look at canvas paintings in stores and I think “I want to make that” and I finally did.

HC: How do you find what designs to paint?LC: It depends on who I’m making the painting for. I always pick a design that will fit their personality.

HC: Which one is your favorite so far?LC: The matching monogrammed ones I made for my roommate Danielle and I. like how neat they look and I love the colors.

HC: Are you planning on making more in the future?LC: Yeah, definitely. Lots more. It just takes me about four hours per canvas so it’ll take some time to make a bigger collection of them. I just don’t have time right now with finals coming up.

HC: Are you going to try to make this into a business? LC: Yeah, eventually. I could sell them if enough people start asking me to make them. As of now I’m just doing it for friends but maybe down the road I’ll start charging.

HC: Is art a passion of yours that you want to do something with after graduating?LC: I’m not really passionate about being an artist. I think I’ll do it on the side, I don’t think it’ll be my main occupation.

HC: What’s your painting process like?LC: I decide on whatever theme I’m going to do. Then I sketch it in pencil and I put all my paints on a plate. I always finish with one color and then move onto the next so I don’t have to keep washing my brushes.

HC: Do you have any ideas for future paintings?LC: I’m painting my Dad one for Christmas. It’s going to have something to do with the ocean since we live in Bermuda. 

HC: Do you plan to take any painting classes here?LC: I tried to get into a painting class for next semester but it’s already closed. So, I’ll try again next year.

Check out some of Lexy’s paintings below!

Danielle was previously the Deputy Editor at Her Campus, where she oversaw social and content strategy, lifestyle, beauty, fashion, news, and entertainment. Prior to joining Her Campus, Danielle worked at House Beautiful as Senior Lifestyle Editor, directing and producing feature videos and stories. Danielle also served as Snapchat Editor at Cosmopolitan, overseeing the brands daily Snapchat Discover channel. In 2016, she launched Cosmo Bites — which is now the official food and beverage vertical at Cosmopolitan. That same year, Danielle was named as a Rising Star in the digital media industry by FOLIO Magazine. Danielle got her start in digital media by launching the Her Campus chapter at Fairfield University in 2014, where she acted as Campus Correspondent for 2.5 years, before graduating with a degree in English and creative writing. She enjoys wine, food, and long walks through HomeGoods. Follow Danielle on Instagram!