Meet Future Lacrosse Pro Jack Murphy ’15

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Fairfield chapter.

Jack Murphy isn’t your typical lax bro. In a few weeks from now, this week’s Campus Cutie will be playing professional lacrosse for the Boston Cannons. If that isn’t impressive enough, Jack has a bright smile and positive personality that is both genuine and contagious. Read on to discover how amazing the rest of his personality is and his journey towards playing professional lacrosse.

Name: Jack Murphy

Hometown: Cohasset, MA

Year: 2015

Major: Economics, Math Minor 

Relationship Status: Taken

Sports Teams: Red Sox and Bruins

Rapid Fire Round:

Dunkin Donuts or Starbucks?

JM: Dunkin Donuts

iPhone or Andriod?

JM: iPhone

Beach or slopes?

JM: Beach

What was the last gift you gave?

JM: A teddy bear…I think?

What did you eat for breakfast?

JM: Barone

Favorite song?

JM: “Young” by Kenny Chesney.

Celebrity crush?

JM: Leo

Glass half full or half empty?

JM: Half full

Beer or liquor?

JM: Beer

Favorite movie quote?

JM: Um…”I got a dollar” from The Little Rascals

Biggest fear?

JM: Not graduating (laughs)

Target or Walmart?

JM: Walmart

Favorite word?

JM: Wicked

Super power?

JM: Fly

Mac or PC?

JM: Mac

Salad or pizza?

JM: Salad

Last thing you watched on Netflix?

JM: Walking Dead

What’s number one on your bucket list?

JM: Skydiving

Life at Fairfield 

Her Campus: What’s your favorite thing about going to Fairfield?

Jack Murphy: I kind of like that it’s small, you get to see everybody and yeah, you know everybody. You can see all of your friends in one day or you can always run into people you haven’t seen in a while.

HC: Are you going to/are you excited for Clam Jam this weekend?

JM: I’m not going to, but I would be excited. We [the lacrosse team] have our game versus Ohio State at the same time.

HC: So after Clam Jam, junior year is almost over. What are you most looking forward to in your senior year?

JM: Just being on the beach right when we get back

HC: What house are you living at?

JM: We’re in Sea Ranch next year…it’s going to be amazing.  We got really lucky.

On the field 

HC: Tell me about your lacrosse career.

JM: Well I started as goalie in 7th grade. I did it because no one else wanted to play and then stuck with it throughout high school. We won two out of four state championships in high school but I didn’t get recruited anywhere even though I was All-American in my senior year of high school. I ended up going to Mass Maritime, just as an interest for school, for a year and a half before I decided to go somewhere else and possibly play lacrosse, but mainly I just wanted to be at a different school.

HC: How did you decide on Fairfield?

JM: I emailed just about every school in the Northeast and Coach Copelan was the only one who responded saying I would be able to get a tryout and the school also had Engineering so that’s how I ended up here. Got my butt kicked the first year I was here though. Charlie Cipriano was the goalie and a very good kid to be behind. It was like being behind a Tom Brady. Then last year was the only year I really played, other than this year, and I ended up getting drafted after that season.

HC: Did you ever think you would go pro?

JM: I did not; especially after high school when I didn’t get recruited I thought that whole dream was out the window. And then I got here and I heard Charlie had been picked up by the Denver Outlaws so I thought there was some kind of chance, but I still wasn’t as good as him. Even up until the draft day, I hadn’t been in any of the mock drafts for the goalies. There were four or five goalies that were ranked ahead of me and I ended up getting picked as the last one. Third pick in the eighth round.

HC: Who has been most influential during your lacrosse career?

JM: Um, a couple people. I’d say my high school coach, Stu Curran, I had him as a coach since about 7th grade. Then the second I got here, Coach Witley has helped me out a ton. I don’t think I would have gone quite as far without his help.

HC: What’s the best game you’ve ever played?

JM: The best game that I’ve ever played, or the best game I’ve ever been a part of, was last year when we beat number one ranked Denver in overtime, in Denver. That was by far the best game I’ve ever been a part of.

Katrina is a junior at Fairfield University with double majors in English and Journalism, and a minor in German. 
Amanda McKelvey is a Co-Campus Correspondent and a senior at Fairfield University. She is a Journalism major with minors in Psychology and Communications. In addition to being a CC she has held internships with Michael Kors, CollegeFashionista.com and the Rockville Centre and Baldwin Heralds. In her free time, Amanda enjoys days on the beaches of Long Island, watching Scandal, Chicago Fire and the Bachelorette, eating anything sweet (chocolate, ice cream, cupcakes—you name it!) and reading a good book. She’s excited to spend her senior year living at Fairfield Beach with her best friends including fellow CC Danielle Tullo! You can follow her on Twitter @theAMANDAshowww or on Instagram @ammckelvey.