Look How One Collegiette Broke These 5 Fashion Rules

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Fairfield chapter.

Rules are meant to be broken, right? Especially in fashion. After 20 Taylor Swift songs, 40 outfit changes, ripping apart 2 closets, and the moving of a couch, I successfully broke 5 major fashion rules with the help of my roommates. Here are 5 fashion rules that you have always avoided, but should definitely try out yourself. 

Sequins during the day

Time and time again, we have been told that sequins are a staple for going out. But who says you cannot wear them to class? The gray cardigan, blue jeans, and white sneakers make this top you would usually wear out way more casual. You could even wear this to class!

Mixing prints

Mixing prints can be scary. I struggled to find this particular outfit, but with a bit of thinking, this ended up being my favorite outfit. As long as the prints you use are in a similar color family, whatever you wear will look awesome. 

Denim on denim

Denim on denim can be a tough trend to master, but looks amazing when done correctly. With differing shades of denim, a long necklace, and brown booties, this outfit is totally wearable for everyday. 

Sneakers and a dress

In the words of Demi Lovato, “who says I can’t wear my converse with my dress?” I may not be wearing converse, but the idea still stands. Sneakers and a dress are totally wearable, as long as your sneakers are clean. 

Black and navy

While I have never limited myself to this rule personally, I know that some people do. Black and navy look chic when paired together, especially if you are tired of wearing only black on black. 

Aileen is a senior communication major and marketing minor who resides in Westchester, NY. She is a Executive Features Editor at Her Campus Fairfield and loves online shopping, snuggling with her dog, and working out. the Follow her on Instagram @aklindy!
Gabriella is currently a junior at Fairfield University, where she is majoring in Marketing and minoring in Communications. She is Co-Campus Correspondent of Her Campus Fairfield with her roomie/best friend Pamela Grant! Gab can most likely be found with a Venti Starbs in hand, while wearing obnoxiously large sunnies (no shame), reading the most recent issue of Glamour Mag.