Let’s Do More Than Just Talk

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Fairfield chapter.

Talking, we all do it. In classes, sports, with friends and family we are always having conversations. We check in with one another to see if everyone is okay and move on with our day. But when do we really sit down and have meaningful conversations? When do we start to discuss matters that are important in our society?  Here are some tips that can turn any conversation into a meaningful one.

Stay in Tuned:  It doesn’t hurt to take a look at what’s going on in the world.  Simple ways to do so are by watching the Today show in the morning as you’re getting ready. Take a look at Yahoo or CNN online to see what articles are being posted. Learn about something that is happening and bring it up at lunch or dinner to get your friends’ opinions on the matter.  One simple act can lead to an interesting conversation.

Be Understanding: Some people don’t always like talking about matters that are occurring because they fear their peers will judge them for it. It’s one thing to have a debate and see both sides of the issue and it’s another to judge and say they are wrong on their stance. Being understanding on others views on all issues is important. It leads to great dialogue if the conversation is in a safe space.

Explore More:  To keep a great conversation going one needs to explore the subject a little better. As college students we get this in class all the time, so if we’re getting taught the skill why not apply it outside the classroom?  Asking “why” or “how come you feel this way” opens the conversation to a whole new level.  You are getting more than just the surface of the conversation, now you’re digging deeper. See our English Professor weren’t kidding when they said, “read between the lines”.

Listening: Do onto others as others do onto you.  Nothing is more annoying than when you’re talking to someone and they are too busy staring at their phones. Communication is key as I mentioned before but it can’t be achieved if you’re not listening to one another. Being away from all technology for thirty minutes won’t hurt you, especially if you’re face to face with someone having a meaningful conversation.

Hi my name is Alejandra Arias and I am the Executive Feature Editor for Her Campus Fairfield
Gabriella is currently a junior at Fairfield University, where she is majoring in Marketing and minoring in Communications. She is Co-Campus Correspondent of Her Campus Fairfield with her roomie/best friend Pamela Grant! Gab can most likely be found with a Venti Starbs in hand, while wearing obnoxiously large sunnies (no shame), reading the most recent issue of Glamour Mag.